"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 09-18-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
Head Chef
drain and rinse the kraut or you might be running to the potty alot. I rinse the kraut and then add a little water adn brown sugar and top with the brats and simmer. I like cooking this in a crock pot. You can save a little of the kraut juice but I wouldn't use it all.

thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Floridagirl Send a message via MSN to Floridagirl
I like it if the sauerkraut is simmering for 3 hours. I wash the kraut very well (if I can manage to get German brand sauerkraut than I don't need to wash it, it is a huge diffrence), drain. In a pot melt some goose fat (goose fat is the best, you can also use lard or sease some diced bacon). Put in the sauerkraut. Let braise a little. Add fluid. (use water, wine, champagne, broth.... ). Add carraway seeds, 1-2 bay leaves, sugar if desired. I like to add an apple (peeled and cut in small pieces). Let simmer for 3 hours an low heat. Add more water if necessary, stir once in a while. Before serving remove the bay leaves.

The carraway seeds not only taste good in the kraut they also make it better digestible.

I like my brats pan roasted and served with the sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.
Not to forget mustard and horseradish Or the brats served with sauerkraut and slices of german farmers bread.

Depending on my dish I also like sauerkraut with pineapple and champgane and sauerkraut with apple and ginger (then I substitude part of the liquid with apple juice)

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.
Floridagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Depending on my dish I also like sauerkraut with pineapple and champgane and sauerkraut with apple and ginger (then I substitude part of the liquid with apple juice)

How in the world do you fix pineapple and champagne with sauerkraut? All sound so appealing. Is there recipe you have or is this something you just 'wing' it? We are all kraut people here and the more options the better. Thanks for the time.
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Floridagirl - I forgot all about the apple and caraway seeds Every time I make sauerkraut I call my sister! lol I kept a copy of this for next time!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
Master Chef
If I'm having sourkraut with brats, I have to have good horseradish and ketchup to ballance out the sourness of the kraut. But that's just me. If yu cut the brat in half, lengthwise, you can eat this on a good, dark rye bead. Swiss cheese is good with this. It's like eating a Reuben, but with brats instead of corned beef. Yum.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #16
Senior Cook
You have that right. I like cooking but what I really like is eating. Of course a Brat on a demi loaf of French bread with some Dijon and 'kraut is heaven.

May you eat well,
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote