Savoy-Leaf Type Spinach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Does anyone here besides me miss it? :(

Yes, yes, I know it was/is a pain in the you-know-what to clean because of all those thick wrinkles - but it's also all those thick wrinkles that make me love it. (And unfortunately it was all those thick wrinkles that caused its marketable demise. . . .)

All the limp wan "baby" flat-leaf spinach that has taken the commercial market by storm is just hunky-dory for cooked spinach & as far as a mixed green salad, but the savoy-leaf is & always has been my hands-down favorite for a spinach salad. Whether with hard-boiled egg, bacon, sliced fresh mushrooms & blue cheese dressing; or with a hot bacon dressing to just wilt it - savoy-leaf is A-1. The spinach flavor is more intense, & those "wrinkles" give a real crunch & heft to a salad - even under hot dressing. The flat leaf stuff just plasters together when used alone in a salad, like wet grass.

Unfortunately, while I have & do grow it myself, when I have a craving for it & don't have any in the garden, the markets don't have it either anymore. All I can say is - WAAAAHHHH!

It's pretty scarce. If I'm lucky I get some in the spring time. With spinach, seems to me that the darker the leaf color the more intense the flavor. For cooking, I lean towards kale or chard over the pale flat leaf spinach.

Last edited:
And unfortunately it's not easy to grow here in Virginia. Our springs & falls run from extremely unpredictable to almost nonexistent. We can run from 90 degrees to frost - & vice versa - in a nanosecond. Real cool-weather crops are definitely a hit-or-miss proposition in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom