Seeding cucumbers: how and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
I've got most of the ingredients to make gaspacho, and have dutifully printed several recipes taken off the Web.

Several suggest seeding the cucumbers. Is this really worth the bother? :sick:

And, how in the world do you do it?

Oh, and if any of you have any big do's or don'ts for gaspacho, I'm all ears :pig:

Best regards,
Alex R.

The seeds and gel around them have little or no flavor and add water to the mix.

Cut the cukes in half lenghtwise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and gel. It takes just a few seconds to do it. Really.

Andy nailed it.

If we are making a cuke salad or anything that will be around for several hours, find it better to rremove the seeds (actually the pulp about the seeds).

Otherwide the dish becomes far too watery.

Those seeds and liquid can really ruin a nice dish. The English Cukes, wrapped individually in cellophane at the grocery store, do not need to be seeded. In fact, I believe they are called seedless cucumbers.:rolleyes: Imagine that?:)

Last edited:
...and sometimes the seeds can be really bitter. I still take the seeds out of an English cuke :chef: I'm making gazpacho today too - can't wait!!!! I put all the veggies through my meat grinder on my Kitchen Aid - I like that chunky texture.

Thanks for your advice everybody.
Sounds so simple... now that you explain it....

Best regards,
Alex R.

You can also cut the cuke in quarters lengthwise and cut the "triangle" of seeds off.

Back
Top Bottom