"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-18-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Shallots or Onions?

In recipes, and on the various cooking shows, chefs, etc., are forever touting shallots. So I bought a few the other day, expecting great things.

Ha! I tasted a small piece, raw - to me it tasted exactly like a rather pungent, "hot" onion.

This eveing, my wife (an excellent cook) prepared creamed pearl onions. Thinking she had not enough of the pearl onions, she added some chopped shallots. Neither of us could detect any appreciable differnece in flavor.

So what's the big deal about shallots? Is my taster on the fritz, or are they simply over-hyped, like a lot of other stuff these days?

Old 02-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #2
Senior Cook

No opinions?

Looks like nobody cares much one way or the other about shallots and onions, eh?

Shucks. I was hoping to get a discussion going on onions, etc. You know, which is best - Vidalias or reds or sweet spanish or............Shallots?????

Old 02-20-2003, 08:03 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I've used shallots before and wasn't too impressed. A bit of a pain to peel and not much difference in flavour. I tend to use spanish onion for pretty much everything but salads where I prefer red ones.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, I like shallots roasted and they have this incredible sweet flavor (onions do too though) BUT I can roast them whole and in much less time.

If a recipe calls for a small amount of onion I just use a shallot - that way if I don't cook for several days using onion I don't waste the rest.

mmmmmmmmmmm................... I do like Vidalias - but I still don't eat one like an apple - :P IMHO - a sweet onion is a sweet onion is a sweet onion.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Coco
I love shallots. I use them in anything that doesn't require long cooking and also in salad dressings. Onions I save for anything that is going to simmer for a long time. They taste very different to me; more delicate in flavour. That's it; that's my opinion.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:58 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Well, Coco, we have a conundrum here: either you have a vivid imagination, enabling you to believe shallots taste very different from just any old rather hot onion, or I have a palate that is shot to pieces and can no longer properly evaluate flavors.

But, hey, as long as you think they're good, and don't mind the hassle of peeling those odd-shaped things, why, have at it. ;)
Old 03-22-2003, 12:03 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Coco
You stick with onions and I'll stick with shallots. My favorite way to have them is sauted with butter and chanterelles, then tossed with linguini and sage. Many a time I have been tempted(and even been caught), to skip the linguini and just eat the chanterelles.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Shallots (to me at least) taste like a cross between an onion and garlic. The taste difference is very mild in my opinion, but it is there. I do not notice it as much what the shallot is raw, but when sautéed in oil I can notice it. I think that when mixed with regular onion though the flavor difference would be lost.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:37 AM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Well, I like shallots roasted and they have this incredible sweet flavor (onions do too though) BUT I can roast them whole and in much less time.

If a recipe calls for a small amount of onion I just use a shallot - that way if I don't cook for several days using onion I don't waste the rest.

mmmmmmmmmmm................... I do like Vidalias - but I still don't eat one like an apple - :P IMHO - a sweet onion is a sweet onion is a sweet onion.
Ohh, one of the best things I have every tasted was this roasted eshallot and demi-glaze sauce. Ohhhhhhh I have shivers thinking of it. You could throw out the meat and just order more sauce! Although the demi was a pain to make, took like 3 days to make 1 qt from 10 gals of stock.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
OK....what the heck are chanterelles???? I've never cooked shallots before because I never knew what exactly they were,,,now I do....hmmm...I like my onions but I must try shallots for myself...ive at ethem but just not cooked them....

Tags
None