"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #41
Master Chef

For sure

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

For sure what? that there have to be a few good shrooms around here?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

I hate double posting but I know for a fact that my property grows about four metric tonnes of puffball mushrooms. I think those are about on the level of button/portabella as far as flavor and uniqueness (i.e. none) but that could be a major source of some free shrooms this summer.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Unless I could look at a fungus and reference my books, then I would still feel unsure about anything I found. Are you asking us to give you our blessing on the puffballs? Sight unseen?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

I don't mean this in the way it will probably sound, but I don't understand what you mean.

I'm not just going to go pluck any shiny mushroom that looks like the picture book and stick it in my mouth. However, there are NO look-alikes for puffballs that anyone but a 2-year-old could mistake them for. They're all covered in wart-looking things, where puffballs are just like big, smooth, white button mushrooms. It's also fairly easy to tell if you have a fake morel, which I expect to find even less often than real ones around here (so less than never somehow).

However, I'm not asking for advice or anything about finding them, but a few people have contributed their short experiences with finding mushrooms in their yard or something. But I'm here for recipes. I've got the pizza, and saute thing down, but I know there's more out there. Sauces, soups, maybe some completely unique thing I've never even heard of?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Okay, now I understand, you are looking for recipes not 'shrooming advice.

I typed "mushroom"into the site search engine and came up with over 15 pages of references to mushrooms: https://www.google.com/search?q=mush...w=1262&bih=619

We even ran a mushroom challenge a while ago and got several fun and great recipes out of it. Those are the links that say "GCC - Mushroom"
Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the reference, I'll bookmark that search for now.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

About fifty years ago I was working at Revere Memorial Hospital. We had a family come into the ER. They had mushrooms with their lunch. The husband was deathly sick. He ended up with severely damaged kidneys and had to go on dialysis. He became a very sick patient for about ten days. I have never forgotten him. He was a young father of two babies.

Wild mushrooms? NO THANKS!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

if you think portabellas, creminis, or white button shrooms are a bit boring, try this:

the next time you are going to fire up your grill, prepare some portabella caps beforehand by removing the stem and any dirt, rub the cap with evoo and turn them gill side up, drizzling a balsamic vinegar dressing into them. let marinade for an hour or two, then pour out any excess marinade and put them onto the grill over medium low heat still with the gills up.

after they've grilled for a little while and are getting soft (when you can see some liquid forming in the cap), crumble some gorgonzola, fontina, locatelli, or cheese of your choice into the gills and cover with a deep pot lid or something to help melt the cheese.

once the cheese has melted in, remove from the grill and slice into quarters and serve with crusty italian bread slices for and appy.

for the creminis:

slice the mushrooms and saute for a few minutes in evoo. a lot of liquid will come out of the mushrooms. using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the mushroom slices and set aside. reduce the liquid left in the pan a little, then add butter and some fresh herbs like thyme, marjoram, or sage. return the sliced mushrooms to the pan, toss to coat, add some salt and pepper to taste.

this goes really well over steak, or as a side dish with roast chicken.

for white buttons:

this is similar to the creminis, but i like to halve the mushrooms instead and saute in grapeseed oil for a few minutes, then just add a good splash or three of whatever red wine you are drinking with (or before ) dinner. simmer on high heat until the mushroom liquid and red wine reduces enough to almost be a sauce, and add butter to round it out. again, salt and pepper to taste, and serve as a side.

i know you said that you don't like shiitakes, but i love them as well as my family, so we put them in everything from stir fries, to soups, to wherever we can add them, lol. and yes, you have to remove the stems.

one of my favourite ways of making shiitakes is sort of a stir fry/steaming technique that also includes baby bok choy.

start by heating up a wok and stir frying some ginger and garlic in peanut oil, then add a bunch of cleaned/rinsed whole baby bok choy and small shiitake caps. stir fry for just a minute or two, add a good couple of splashes of soy sauce, and a tbsp or so of fish sauce. stir fry for another minute, then add a half cup of chicken stock and allow the mushrooms and bok choy to simmer for another minute. when the bok choy are softened enough, add a little cornstarch slurry to thicken the liquid into a sauce, then ladle everything into a serving bowl.

i like to serve this with thinly sliced london broil and a side of white rice.

hope this helps.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
Assistant Cook

The thing was I don't like the lack of edible parts of the shiitake, I mean, the stem is more than half of it. They taste fine to me, I'm just lazy and don't want to buy a pound of mushrooms and end up only get 4 ounces of edible parts.

Thanks for the ideas.

Tags
other