Shrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in Russia I have never, ever, heard of people eating row mushrooms. They were always boiled untill completely cooked and only then they would be fried, pickled, marinaded, etc. Interesting why? I am talking about only wild mushrooms.

Raw white button (giorgio) mushrooms are excellent raw, like on a salad, or even alone. I haven't ever tried another mushroom raw though.

I got some dehydrated morels. Anyone got recipes? Or should I just saute them as is customary with many mushrooms?

I haven't done much with morels and it's always been with dried ones. I like to soak them in a little water until they soften, then cook them with garlic and add a little heavy cream toward the end. I scrape up all the brownings from the pan and make sure they mix in with the cream. It goes great over mashed potaoes.

Also, I saw multiple references to not liking that shitake stems are a waste. You can cut them off and store them in a container in the freazer until you have roughly two or three cups of them. Then boil them to make a broth. Remove the stems from the broth. If you cut them in thin strips you can return some of them to the broth and they are an interesting chewy bit in the soup. Add some ginger, noodles and shitake caps and it is really good. Fresh chives or green onion is also good in it.

Last edited:
I haven't done much with morels and it's always been with dried ones. I like to soak them in a little water until they soften, then cook them with garlic and add a little heavy cream toward the end. I scrape up all the brownings from the pan and make sure they mix in with the cream. It goes great over mashed potaoes.

Also, I saw multiple references to not liking that shitake stems are a waste. You can cut them off and store them in a container in the freazer until you have roughly two or three cups of them. Then boil them to make a broth. Remove the stems from the broth. If you cut them in thin strips you can return some of them to the broth and they are an interesting chewy bit in the soup. Add some ginger, noodles and shitake caps and it is really good. Fresh chives or green onion is also good in it.

Will try. Thanks!

I buy Kirkland brand frozen stir fry mix and it has shitakes. But, they don't get fried enough before the other vegis are overcooked, so I take them out and keep them in a bag in the freezer.

I wanted to use some of them, so I thawed them in a sieve. After they had been draining for several hours, they were still full of water, so I squeeze them in a clean tea towel. Still far too wet. I heated them on a dry skillet on low to dry them out.

Any other suggestions? Should I put them in the dehydrator? I'm not trying for dry mushrooms, just something closer to fresh.

I buy Kirkland brand frozen stir fry mix and it has shitakes. But, they don't get fried enough before the other vegis are overcooked, so I take them out and keep them in a bag in the freezer.

I wanted to use some of them, so I thawed them in a sieve. After they had been draining for several hours, they were still full of water, so I squeeze them in a clean tea towel. Still far too wet. I heated them on a dry skillet on low to dry them out.

Any other suggestions? Should I put them in the dehydrator? I'm not trying for dry mushrooms, just something closer to fresh.

This is probably going to sound hostile but why not just buy fresh ones? I can imagine that there's a lot of structural damge from the ice crystals from it being frozen.

Just take them out and cook them a few minutes before the other vegetables

This is probably going to sound hostile but why not just buy fresh ones? I can imagine that there's a lot of structural damge from the ice crystals from it being frozen.

Just take them out and cook them a few minutes before the other vegetables
It wasn't so much that I wanted shitake mushrooms, as I don't want to throw them away.

Taking them out and cooking them for a few minutes first isn't adequate and even if it was, I might be in a hurry or I might be steaming the vegis, so I will still have the leftover shitakes.

Raw white button (giorgio) mushrooms are excellent raw, like on a salad, or even alone. I haven't ever tried another mushroom raw though.
Sorry, I miissed this. If the Morels are dehydrated, you need to rehydrate them in warm water for about 30 minutes (save the liquid to add to stocks, gravys, etc.) I have only panfried fresh ones, never tried it with the dehydrated-reconstituted ones.

Morels should NEVER be eaten raw nor should you eat dehydrated ones without cooking them. If I don't soak them, I toss dried ones into turkey soup, beef stock, spaghetti sauce, and the water when I am cooking wild rice. I only get Morels when I go raid my dad's pantry in MN, so I am somewhat stingy about how I dole them out. And, if the Morel season wasn't a good year, I'm even more stingy.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry, I miissed this. If the Morels are dehydrated, you need to rehydrate them in warm water for about 30 minutes (save the liquid to add to stocks, gravys, etc.) I have only panfried fresh ones, never tried it with the dehydrated-reconstituted ones.

Morels should NEVER be eaten raw nor should you eat dehydrated ones without cooking them. If I don't soak them, I toss dried ones into turkey soup, beef stock, spaghetti sauce, and the water when I am cooking wild rice. I only get Morels when I go raid my dad's pantry in MN, so I am somewhat stingy about how I dole them out. And, if the Morel season wasn't a good year, I'm even more stingy.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking about doing some morel hunting this year if I can make time. Any tips?? I wish I knew someone in the area to get together and hunt with...

Alright I got a 1.5oz package of dried porcini, oyster, and shitake mushrooms. Someone needs to give me a soup recipe.

Back
Top Bottom