"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #61
Head Chef

Oh right, a spray oil in a can. Ta.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #62
Assistant Cook

Edit: see you got your answer.

Try them whenever you can. They're great. I throw out my slices if they're more than 2mm thick. Or save them for cooking later. I don't think they'd cook well, but I haven't tried.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #63
Master Chef

Snow, I just remembered, somebody here pointed me to this site: Home, Pistol River Mushroom Farm, Gold Beach, Oregon. Growing Gourmet Mushrooms on the Oregon Coast
it is not about mushrooms, but they do have mushrooms.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #64
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Snow, I just remembered, somebody here pointed me to this site: [url=, Pistol River Mushroom Farm, Gold Beach, Oregon. Growing Gourmet Mushrooms on the Oregon Coast[/url]
it is not about mushrooms, but they do have mushrooms.
Thank you.

Also to anyone wondering why all the links are gone from my quotes. I have no idea. I think it's adblock or something.

I got some fresh shiitake mushrooms and made a sandwich like I would with portabella (since I didn't have a portabella). Tasted pretty good.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #65
Assistant Cook

Hey does anyone know how to make those wedge potatoes you can get fresh at some grocery stores where they have all the fresh food like drumsticks and stuff? If you don't know what I'm talking about, they're just regular wedge potatoes, but the "crust" or whatever you'd call it is like.... Seasoned and flaky and dark golden/brownish. That's the one part I can't get. They appear to be baked but I'm not sure.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow. View Post
Hey does anyone know how to make those wedge potatoes you can get fresh at some grocery stores where they have all the fresh food like drumsticks and stuff? If you don't know what I'm talking about, they're just regular wedge potatoes, but the "crust" or whatever you'd call it is like.... Seasoned and flaky and dark golden/brownish. That's the one part I can't get. They appear to be baked but I'm not sure.
Is the crust possibly grated cheese?

Italian Fries - Martha Stewart Recipes

Martha Stewart has a recipe similar to what you are looking for. You just have to cut them bigger than hers are. BTW they are delicious.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #67
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Is the crust possibly grated cheese?

Italian Fries - Martha Stewart Recipes

Martha Stewart has a recipe similar to what you are looking for. You just have to cut them bigger than hers are. BTW they are delicious.
That looks like a good idea, but I believe the crust is just salt/seasoning that they somehow made flaky. Don't really know. If I knew more about cooking I'm sure I'd know.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Can you purchase a few and tell that way? Or you could ask their kitchen.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #69
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Can you purchase a few and tell that way? Or you could ask their kitchen.
Sometimes they have people working there that hate themselves and everyone else, but sometimes they have nice people. I'll try to ask when they seem happy. If they can't say I'll buy some and upload pics and describe them more.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #70
Senior Cook

This is a good little 'starter book' on mushrooms. I've been foraging wild mushrooms for decades and still there are only about five that I will eat.
I started the first commercial shitake 'mushroom farm' on one of the Gulf Islands. We started with 500 four foot long green alder logs each inoculated with spore plugs.
This how I cook any mushroom store bought or wild harvested:
Wash off any dirt under warm running water using a soft brush. Don't think the mushroom will absorb any water doing it this way. The washing happens so fast the mushroom has no chance to take in any water. Pat dry between paper towels.
With fresh shitakes just break off the stems. Save them to soak over night in the fridge then pour off the 'liquid gold' and use it in a soup/stock/whatever.
Now cover the bottom of a sauté pan with the mushrooms. Don't overcrowd it. You may have to repeat this part. DO NOT put ANYTHING other than the mushrooms in the pan. No butter. No oil. NOTHING. (This is the point where some people don't follow the instructions and end up with a mess.) Heat up the pan to a low to medium heat. Watch the mushrooms. You will see that whatever moisture is in the mushrooms will be gathering in the pan. Carefully with a paper towel blot up this water. In time virtually all the water will be gone leaving dry mushrooms. Remove the mushrooms to a paper towel. Repeat if necessary. When you have all the mushrooms dried out this way wipe out the pan and add a bit of butter and a little pinch of nutmeg. Bring the butter up to medium and add a few mushrooms at a time. Don't overcrowd the pan. Now you have mushrooms that are dying to soak up the butter and nutmeg. Watch the butter disappear and the mushrooms turn a nice golden brown. Repeat. Cooking them without allowing them to release their moisture always results in a dirty looking mushy mess.

Tags
other