Southern turnip greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right - the average southern cook in the kitchen is not adding beer, molasses, etc to an age-old recipe of greens. It really is fantastic though - I would challenge you to be a bit adventurous and give it a try.

Kansas girl, if I did that, my father would kill me!!!!! I can hear him cussing now!

Maybe after the old fart kicks off!

My idea of hell, another eternity with dad!!!!

You don't think he would notice beer and molasses in his greens? Please. My nerves couldn't take it.

You're too damn funny. If you're worried about your nerves, throw one bottle of beer in the greens and another in yourself. You'll be fine. For good measure give your dad a beer too!

What is your favorite southern recipe - one you couldn't live without? Post it for us...

kansasgirl said:
You're right - the average southern cook in the kitchen is not adding beer, molasses, etc to an age-old recipe of greens. It really is fantastic though - I would challenge you to be a bit adventurous and give it a try.
I give emeril liscense to change any recipe he'd like, he's lived here so he knows southern food. I'll try it on hubby (he's nuts about greens) and see if he approves. Mostly though, the biggest thing is getting the dirt out. I see now they have it pre-bagged in the stores, but usually I get it from a dear old (literally!) friend who brings it to me in huge, dirty bunches! I was raised not to look a gift horse in the mouth so I start the sink up....

kansasgirl said:
You're too damn funny. If you're worried about your nerves, throw one bottle of beer in the greens and another in yourself. You'll be fine. For good measure give your dad a beer too!

What is your favorite southern recipe - one you couldn't live without? Post it for us...

God......Dad would drink the beer and be worse than ever.

This is the recipe for my favorite summer salad. We all love it. Mom made it with vegetables from the huge garden we had every summer.

MOM’S FAMOUS TOMATO, CUCUMBER, AND ONION SALAD

2 MEDIUM SLICED ONIONS [I like Vidalia]

1 PEELED AND SLICED CUCUMBER

3 SLICED TOMATOES

1 TSP. SALT

BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE

1/4 CUP VINEGAR OR TO TASTE

1/8 CUP SUGAR OR TO TASTE

2 CUPS WATER.

PUT IN BOWL 2 MEDIUM SLICED ONIONS, 2 PEELED AND SLICED CUCUMBERS, 3 SLICED TOMATOES AND MIX TOGETHER. IN BLENDER ADD 1 TSP. SALT, BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE, 1/4 CUP VINEGAR, 1/8 CUP SUGAR, AND 2 CUPS WATER. TASTE AND CORRECT FOR SEASONINGS, SWEET, AND SOUR. THIS SHOULD HAVE A MILD BITE AND A LITTLE SWEETNESS. POUR OVER SALAD TO COVER. REFRIGERATE OVER NIGHT. SERVES 6 TO 8

VARIATION: SUBSTITUTE THE CUCUMBERS AND TOMATOES WITH 4 OR 5 COOKED, PEELED, AND SLICED BEETS.

Wow, my mom made the same salad and we grew up in Kansas! She did have two additions though - sliced radishes for a peppry bite and lots of fresh dill. YUM!

Ok, Kansasgirl, what about this one. I developed when mom could not chew well!

CREAMED CHICKEN THAT MOMMA LOVED

3 TO 4 LB CHICKEN CUT INTO PIECES

TBSPN CHICKEN BASE

2 ONIONS

2 CARROTS

2 STALKS CELERY

SEVERAL CLOVES OF GARLIC TO TASTE

PARSLEY

THYME

BAY LEAF

SALT AND PEPPER

FLOUR & WATER

COOK 3 TO 4 LB CHICKEN SLOWLY IN WATER TO COVER, CHICKEN BASE, 2 ONIONS, 2 CARROTS, GARLIC, 2 STALKS CELERY, PARSLEY, THYME, BAY LEAF, AND SEASONINGS TILL TENDER. LET COOL IN STOCK OVERNIGHT.

REMOVE SKIN AND BONES, RESERVING MEAT. ADD SKIN AND BONES BACK TO STOCK AND COOK SKIN AND BONES IN STOCK. COOK STOCK TILL STOCK IS REDUCED TO 2 OR 3 CUPS AFTER STRAINING. MIX FLOUR AND WATER IN A COVERED JAR TO CREATE A WHITE SAUCE.

SHRED MEAT IN LARGE PIECES AND RETURN TO POT. SIMMER GENTLY A FEW MINUTES SERVE OVER RICE, NOODLES, OR MASHED POTATOES.

Oh, yes, I forgot the "grease" factor. I REALLY like a smoked ham hock but if I don't have one and want to be kind of healthy I will use some bullion granules while cooking.

While Emeril's recipe looks wonderful this is one of those things that is too simple and too good to work that hard for - but I sure am willing to try it - it's VERY interesting!!!

Back
Top Bottom