Spaghetti squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
I finally found one (ok I bought two) in the supermarket, but not sure quite how to deal with it. Bake, boil, microwave.....whole, in chunks???? Anyone cook one of the blighters recently?

Hi Kyles - I did! For my eldest daughter, who is trying the South Beach diet. I put the squash on a dinner plate with bit of water, then microwaved it for about 5 minutes, then checked it an microwaved it in 1 minute increments until cooked (depending on the size of the squach, mine was just bigger than say, 1 1/2 softballs?), under 10 min.
When done, I cut it open, scooped out the flesh in a bowl.
I then layered it with a tomatoe sauce (no sugar added) and low fat mozzarella, and baked that a bit until the mozarella melted.
She really liked the dish.

THIS is my fav..

Slice in half long ways.. scoop out seeds.. Stuff with Butter brown sugar.. place in over bake till soft. Take a fork and remove the innerds (will look like spag. if done right) and ENJOY

simply goes nicely with braised red cabbage and Pork! or turkey

or heck on its own

Excellent, we had a debate in our household, to cut or not to cut (before cooking) so your answer means dh wins! Don't you hate that!

Cut in half. turn upside down on a baking sheet. Add some water to the sheet and bake @400* for 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced. Scoop out so the strands shred like spagetti.

kyles said:
Excellent, we had a debate in our household, to cut or not to cut (before cooking) so your answer means dh wins! Don't you hate that!

Yep, it's easier to handle/cook (for me) when I slice it in half and nuke it. I follow my old microwave cookbook directions for prep. After scooping out the strands, I add salt, pepper, butter, parsley and freshly-grated parm. Sprinkle some finely chopped walnuts over the top - for a nuttier taste, or add some chili flakes. You can make spaghetti squash pancakes or mix the cooked strands in with chili - if you're a chili fan. I have some recipes, if you're interested. In a nutshell, I like it best plain, butter, s & p, parm and parsley.

Last edited:
ditto this....
Chef_Jen said:
THIS is my fav..

Slice in half long ways.. scoop out seeds.. Stuff with Butter brown sugar.. place in over bake till soft. Take a fork and remove the innerds (will look like spag. if done right) and ENJOY

simply goes nicely with braised red cabbage and Pork! or turkey

or heck on its own

Ditto that! Plus add whole butter to the sugar mix, yummmmmm.

I did the Gretchen method, and I served it with a tomato chicken sauce, which was lovely.

No butter or sugar for me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom