"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Head Chef

I like it in a frittata, put the cooked squash in the bottom of a pan, (heat pan on stove) with whatever veggies you want (like sauteed onions, peppers, etc), and any meat (diced ham, browned sausage, cooked bacon, etc) and grated cheese. Pour eggs over the top, finish in oven.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to yourstrulyewalani
Glad I found this! I have one thats waiting to be eaten. My beloved other half wrinkled his nose at it but I am going to cook it, serve it with some steamed zuccini, garlic, S & P and portabello mushroom and rice. If he doesnt want any thats his loss.

I used to hate it when I was "little" now I love it samer with the zucc. I'm going to try roasting the seeds!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Head Chef

I really enjoy spaghetti squash with just a little butter and some S&P, it's a little crunchy and fresh and tasty. I find it a little too sweet to have with pasta sauce, unless butter and S&P are considered pasta sauce. We never get enough of it.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

Ok, made the microwave spagetti squash today. Served it with a nice spicy curry. Mostly veg, very little chicken. I'm trying to lessen the family meat intake and still have the dishes remain satisfying. It was good!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Head Chef

is the squash cut in 1/2 before microwaving ?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
Mr. Greenjeans

Yes, then micro'ed face down.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #17
Master Chef

I did my shopping this morning and came home with a spaghetti squash, a first for me!

The squash is just under two pounds and will be more than I need for a side dish, tossed with butter, garlic and cheese.

I'm wondering if I can freeze the leftovers to use in a frittata with some eggs, cheese etc...

I'm also curious about how others cook and serve spaghetti squash.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
Head Chef

We've done a Mexican themed dish from Rick Bayless, fideos with chorizo. An Italian sausage, pepper, onion, marinara, moz and parm cheese "stuffing" where it's mixed, put back in the squash and baked. You could do the same thing, just leave out the moz and top with parm. We've made it just as a side with sauteed onions/garlic and grated parm tossed in. It's a pretty neutral flavor and lends itself to just about anything you want to make.

I've baked it in the oven cut side down in a bit of water, covered, and I've also cooked it in the microwave. Both seemed to work about the same. If I'm going to be heating the oven up anyway, I'll do it in the oven. If not, I usually go for the microwave.

Never tried to freeze it. We usually get dinner out of 1, with leftovers for lunch.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
We've done a Mexican themed dish from Rick Bayless, fideos with chorizo. An Italian sausage, pepper, onion, marinara, moz and parm cheese "stuffing" where it's mixed, put back in the squash and baked. You could do the same thing, just leave out the moz and top with parm. We've made it just as a side with sauteed onions/garlic and grated parm tossed in. It's a pretty neutral flavor and lends itself to just about anything you want to make.

I've baked it in the oven cut side down in a bit of water, covered, and I've also cooked it in the microwave. Both seemed to work about the same. If I'm going to be heating the oven up anyway, I'll do it in the oven. If not, I usually go for the microwave.

Never tried to freeze it. We usually get dinner out of 1, with leftovers for lunch.
The Italian stuffed squash sounds perfect!

I have all of the odds and ends to do an Italian pizza style stuffing for one half.

The other half I will leave plain and use as a breakfast side for a couple of days.

Thanks, B
Old 01-31-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
Master Chef

I've never tried to freeze it either, but I would imagine that the texture would suffer a bit.

I love spaghetti squash and like you AB, I'm cooking for one. For that reason I haven't bought one in a couple of years, but I'm inspired now to buy one and eat the leftovers as sides for a couple of days.

I also love it shredded and sautéed with onion, garlic, and topped with parmesan - that's my go-to.

Tags
None