These are our July 4th ( 3 days early ) Potatoes ...
DOUBLE FRYING is the quintessential key to the creamy interior and the crisp exterior of this renowned national Spanish Tapa, Patatas Bravas, which translates to: Spanish Double Fried Spicy Potatoes.
The first is fried at low temperature and gently cooks the potato interiors, and the second, dip in extra hot oil, which golden browns the exteriors to crispy ...
Here is the way I have been making them, since our relocation to Spain. This recipe for Bravas was given to me by Madrid native Chef Paco Roncero who studied under Chef Ferrán Adriá.
PATATAS BRAVAS: TWO TIMES FRIED SPICY POTATOES ... with brava sauce...
THE BRAVA SAUCE
2 TBLSPS. EVOO
1 small yellow onion minced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 bay leaf
2 POUNDS OF RUSSET POTATOES PEELED & CUT TO 1 INCH CUBES
1 tblsp. Spanish Smoked Cayenne Dulce La Vera or sweet paprika
1 tblsp. Spanish Smoked Cayenne Picante La Vera or spicy paprika
1 red dry chili pepper or chili pepper flakes
1 tblsp. all purpose flour
salt of choice and a bit of black freshly ground pepper
1. HEAT 2tblsps evoo in a sauce pan over medium heat
2. add the minced onion and garlic and sauté until transparent 8 mins.
3. then, add the bay leaf and the two paprikas and flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes
4. stir in 1 1/2 cups water and bring to boil and whisk constantly
( you can employ chicken stock if you wish )
5. reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 mins. so flavours meld
6. remove the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper
7. Purée the sauce in a blender and set aside and if necessary, readjust your seasonings to your individual palates
LAS PATATAS BRAVAS ...
1) attach a deep fry thermometer to side of a large heavy deep skillet
2) pour oil ( frying oil of your choice ) into the pot to 2 Inches in depth
3) heat over medium high heat until 225 degrees farenheit
4) add the cubed potatoes and fry
5) stir occasionally until tender
6) using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to paper towelling and drain very well and then, place on a platter and let them cool
7) the secret here is not a secret; they must be cool which is room temperature
8) heat oil to 350 degrees farenheit and work in batches, and re-fry the potatoes until golden brown crispy: 5 to 7 minutes
9) transfer to paper towelling; Add salt and freshly grinded pepper and serve with the Brava Spicy Sauce on the side or drizzle on top of the potatoes if you wish.
Enjoy ... These are phenomenal with steaks, ribs, burgers and fried chicken ...
Have a Happy July 4th,