Spinach, egg dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
While I wish I was more well rounded in the culinary arts, I usually end up throwing together what appeals to me for given meal usually without the aid of a cookbook. Alton Brown is somewhat of an inspiration to me.

Although I enjoy experimenting, my taste buds are not that finely attuned, and I am sure most of my "culiniary delights" would not appeal to the masses.

That being said, I enjoy spinach in about any way it can be prepared. I'm growing tired of my standard repertiore (sp) though. Baked spinach dishes appeal to me, especially the ones with eggs added to firm it up (souffles, nicouaise, etc.)

Nutmeg & onions, for seasoning, are great. Would anyone care to offer another seasoning that goes well with spinach in a baked dish that includes eggs?

Thanks,
Tom

Spinach, Eggs, and ....

You asked what goes well with spinach and eggs in a baked dish ~ try Parmesan cheese and basil! It sounds like you would enjoy a spinach frittata ~ spinach, eggs, grated cheese, bread crumbs, lots of chopped onion and garlic, basil/parsley, and a touch of olive oil. This can be baked in a 350ºF oven in an oiled casserole or cooked in a non-stick pan on the stovetop. You may go to the following website and check out Anthony's very detailed recipe for spinach frittata:
spaghettisauceandmeatballs.com

A great way to enjoy fresh spinach is to saute a little Italian ham or bacon with lots of garlic. Add the spinach and just a splash of chicken broth. Toss a few minutes until the spinach is wilted. Salt and pepper to taste. This is a good side dish.

To liven up a fresh spinach salad or cooked spinach try lemon juice or seasoned rice vinegar.

Your website is great, Tom! Love the webmaster at work!!!!?!?!

If I come across any other spinach recipes that I think you may enjoy, I will post them for you here.

No eggs, but Spinach Madeleine is a great spinach dish. Very popular around holidays in south Louisiana.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/vegetables/sidedish45.htm

I like to use fresh celery & garlic and half 'n half instead of evaporated milk. This is my version:

SPINACH MADELEINE

2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
½ cup half and half
½ cup vegetable liquor
4 ounces Velveeta Mexican Hot Cheese, cubed into small pieces
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
coarse salt to taste

Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and reserve liquor.

Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until soft. Add garlic for 30 seconds then add flour, stirring until blended and smooth. Add liquid slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. When thick, add cheese and seasonings. Stir until melted.

Combine with cooked spinach and place in a casserole dish. (I use a glass pie pan or a similar shallow dish.) Top with breadcrumbs; cover and refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling hot.

Some of these recipes are not quite what you asked for but are yummy!!! Have NOT made all of them but they all looked good so included.

Cream of Spinach Soup

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][size=+0][/size][/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][size=+0]1 1/2 cups water
3 cubes chicken bouillon
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
3 tablespoons butter
[/size]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
salt and pepper to taste

[/size][/font]Directions
1 In a medium saucepan, combine water, bouillon, and spinach. Bring to a boil, and cook until spinach is tender.
2 Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Season with minced onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in spinach mixture.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]
Spinach and Pasta Shells

[size=+0]1 pound seashell pasta[/size]
[size=+0]1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach

2 tablespoons olive oil​
[/size]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]7 cloves garlic, minced[/size][/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)​
salt to taste​

[/size][/font]
Directions
1 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and spinach and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente; drain and reserve.​

2 Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; saute for 5 minutes or until the garlic turns light gold. Add cooked pasta and spinach to the skillet and mix well. Season with salt and toss; serve.

Spinach Quiche

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][size=+0]1/2 cup butter[/size]
[size=+0]3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small onion, chopped​
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained​
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained​
1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled​
[/size]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese​
salt and pepper to taste​
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust​
4 eggs, beaten​
1 cup milk​
[/size][/font]​

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).​

2 In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium eat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.​

3 In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.​

4 Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.​

Spicy South Of The Border Spinach Cheese Dip

[size=+0]1 onion, chopped[/size]
[size=+0]2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped​
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained​
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained​
[/size]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]10 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese​
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened​
1 cup half-and-half cream​
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar​
[/size][/font]​

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).​
2 Saute onion in skillet over medium heat in oil until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and chiles, let cook 2 minutes.
3 Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in spinach, cheese, cream cheese, half and half, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture into shallow baking dish like a 9 inch quiche dish or pie plate.
4 Bake in the preheated oven until the dip is bubbly and the top is light brown, about 35 minutes.

[/size][/font]
Potato Spinach Casserole

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][size=+0]7 large potatoes, peeled and cubed[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][size=+0]1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup sour cream​
1/4 cup butter​
[/size]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]2 tablespoons chopped green onions​
2 teaspoons salt​
1/4 teaspoon black pepper​
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese​
[/size][/font]​

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.​

2 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.​

3 In a large bowl combine mashed potatoes, spinach, sour cream, butter, green onions, salt and pepper. Spoon into prepared dish.​

4 Bake for 15 minutes. Top with cheese and bake 5 minutes longer.​

[/size][/font]Spinach and Orzo Salad

[size=+0]1 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo pasta[/size]
[size=+0]1 (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves, finely chopped

1/2 pound crumbled feta cheese​
1/2 red onion, finely chopped​
[/size]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]3/4 cup pine nuts​
1/2 teaspoon dried basil​
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper​
1/2 cup olive oil​
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar​
[/size][/font]​

Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.​
[/size][/font]​

Spinach Pie

[size=+0]1 (10 ounce) package frozen [/size][size=+0]chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry[/size]
[size=+0]1 (12 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese

3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese​
[/size]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese​
1 egg, lightly beaten​
1/2 cup chopped onion​
2 sheets frozen phyllo​
pastry, thawed​
[/size][/font]​

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.​

2 In a large bowl, mix spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, egg, and onion. Spread half the mixture over each phyllo pastry sheet. Roll pastry sheets jelly-roll fashion, pinch ends to seal, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.​

3 Make a few small slits in the top of each rolled pastry sheet. Bake 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.​
[/size][/font]​

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom