Spinach Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rinse them off, drain them a bit and put the still-wet leaves in a skillet and steam them (using the water clinging on the leaves) until they wilt. Remove from the heat. Then stir in some olive oil a little minced garlic, little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add some lemon juice or cider vinegar and some feta cheese crumbles. If you want to gild the lily, add some bacon bits, too. Serve as a warm side dish.

In light of the non-stick article Andy just posted, should I assume this should only be done in a SS or aluminum skillet, not a non-stick surface?
Or can you put the spinach in a non-stick and then bring up to temp? Still, not much surface area would be covered.....
I'm just wondering when I should leave that new non-stick "everyday" pan I got alone and reach for a SS one if all I want to do is steam something like spinach.

Thanks in advance...... and probably afterwards, too :)

I think you could do this in non-stick, since it is done at a fairly low temperature. Best to use ss when you want to pre-heat the pan, then add oil, and cook at high temperature. If you pre-heat, then add oil, nothing sticks to the pan, but you can't do it with non-stick.

Thanks, Cordel.
I guess the word "steam" had me thinking this was done at a higher temp.

Wilted spinach...

fry up a few strips of bacon and crumble add some chopped GREEN onion tothe grease pluss a little sugar, cider vinegar and water(strong vinegar/bacon flavor). Place the the leaves in a bowl. When the mixture is boiling hot pour over the leaves then using a pot lid, smash the greens down and let the lid set on the leaves for a few minutes... You won't have any problem eating a large bunch of leaves all at once with this one.

We do similar to Jeff G but we get a bowl of fresh baby spinach leaves, cook up bacon pieces in a fry pan, toss in some bread cubes for croutons and pour everything incl the fat into the salad leaves and toss with some crumbled feta. Throw in some cherry tomato halves as well and you have a meal in a bowl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom