Spinach question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
If I cook fresh spinach in a soup, do I need to give it a chop or two so it isn't so "leafy"?
I know when I cook it in a pan with oil it shrinks up and isn't like eating a leaf, that's the look I'm going for if I make a soup with it.

Thanks if you know :)

If you are using regular, bulk spinach I think I'd give it a bit of a chop. Of course, the leaves will get torn up a bit when you remove the tough stems. However, when I use baby spinach, I don't chop it. Just put it in as is.

Thank you Katie!
I didn't want to give it a chop and then have it shrink up and look like parsley flakes :LOL:

I think it really is up your taste buds. I hate big chunks of spinach. i use chopped frozen one for cooking and even that I try to chop even more. Of course it depends on how much of it you put in your soup.

Yeah Charlie. Definitely a tastebud or texture kind of thing. I can't stand leafy things, even salads are strictly iceburg lettuce only for me. I'm new to fresh spinach and am not familiar with how it reacts to cooking it different ways. Like I said, I don't want green flakes, but certainly don't want a bowl full of leaves either, lol.

The other problem with big leafy things in hot soup, is when they hang off the spoon and burn your lip/face :P On the other hand, ive used the chopped spinach from the frozen package, and it is so finely chopped , that it adds more of a ' thickness' to the soup, then a leafy feel.

larry

Back
Top Bottom