Squash or pumpkin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
Is this a squash or a pumpkin and what is is called?

They are big and hard like a butternut squash

img_846164_0_a7ee4db5bfc131d4fd30b030431e4c34.jpg

A pumpkin is a type of squash.

This item could be an unripe zucchini or a cushaw squash. What does the inside look like?

Looks like what a Brit would call a marrow - a kind of giant zucchini.

Lots of Brits allow zucchini to grow to a large size and call the resulting fruit 'marrow'. It is, however, possible to buy marrow seeds. Proper marrows tend to have much harder skin than zucchini in my experience. They are often served stuffed in Britain or used to make chutneys.

A pumpkin is a type of squash.

This item could be an unripe zucchini or a cushaw squash. What does the inside look like?

Here in norway they just call it food pumpkin. And when we say squash we usully mean zucchini and pumpkin is the big orange halloween.

I don't think this is a summer squash because it is so big and hard.

I'd peel it, slice it up, batter it & fry it up, cause it
ain't no pumpkin...looks like zucchini...they are
all just different types of squash.................BH51..

I don't think you understand.

I now that pumpkin and squash can be the same.

I am wondering what is the name off this squash! I now it is not butternut or acorn. And its definitely not a zucchini!

and, like Kamp has stated repeatedly, it is a hard type of squash (which, btw, I am assuming is a description of the interior).
One does not cook all squash the same. A hard squash is different than a summer squash.
as for it's name, not sure, I'll try a google search and get back to you, kamp.

Thank you so much :)

I norway they have so many funny names..
Like butternut squash is kalled flaskehalsgresskar, if I should direct translate that it will be bottle neck pumpkin. And someone calls it muskat gresskar, that will be nutmeg pumpkin.
And the green zucchini is what we call squash. Most people don't even now there is winter squashes! They only now about the big orange halloween pumpkin. But when I serve them butternut they love it ;)

Back
Top Bottom