Stab that yam with a fork before you roast it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
Is there any reason to stab that yam with a fork before you roast it? The theory is that it lets out steam. Said theory does not explain relative merits of letting or not letting steam out. Maybe my thoughts have become mixed about microwaving a yam (or potato) in order to prevent steam pressure from exploding your tuber. :)

Roast, as in stick it in a preheated 350° oven for about an hour... And for the record, I'm referring to garnet yams which are probably more accurately called a type of sweet potato. (Different regions of the world have different names.) It's the one with a dark reddish skin and when cooked has an orange, sweet inside. :yum:

I hope we can avoid a philosophical discussion over exactly what constitutes a yam. :) For the purposes of this discussion it probably makes little difference what species you're cooking whether yam, potato or sweet potato, other than whether or not you intend to eat the skin.

For that matter, is there any reason to do anything to your yam other than put it in the oven? We don't eat the skins--at least I don't!--so I can't see any real need to even wash it.

I know some people wrap their potatoes in aluminum foil, or wash them, oil them... I wash my potatoes because I eat the skin, and don't oil or wrap them because I like the way the skin get without doing that. But yams aren't potatoes. I'm pretty sure nobody eats yam skins. (Or if you care to comment, why not? Maybe some people eat yam skins. I never gave it any thought.)

So tonight I stabbed my yam a few times, listlessly. Maybe it helped let out some pent up feelings. Nothing like taking it out on a tuber. ;)

What do you say? Stab it? Wash it? Or just put it in?

I've had both types explode in my oven creating a mess. Not fun to clean up plus, you're left empty handed as far as baked potatoes go:LOL:
kadesma

I always stab sweet potatoes and russets with a knife as I start them in the microwave and move them to the toaster or regular oven to finish. I've never had the white skinned sweet potatoes, just the orange ones.

Last edited:
I always wash my veggies. Including potatoes and sweet potatoes. I do give a couple of fork stabs and eat the skins of the white ones, but not the sweet ones. As kadesma stated, cleaning up an exploded one is no fun. And you are still hungry. So there is a valid reason for the rule of stabbing them. Even if with just one or two stabs. :yum:

I always wash and "vent" my potatoes as well as yams. As far as the yams go it sure makes it easier to peel off the skin when it's done cooking.

We aso get the mexican variety that has a red skin and darker orange flesh. I stab the for the micro since the time and temp cook the potato so fast it can explode. I don't it's so necessary ate slower speeds.

Well no matter what my few listless stabs did my garnet yam was delicious! I overcooked it like I usually desire to do (although not so much that the skin got tough or blackened) and the skin peeled off with little effort and the flesh easily mashed under my fork. I love sweet yams with just butter and salt.

I think next time I'll just throw the damned yam into the oven without any treatment other than putting a piece of aluminum foil under it to catch any moisture.

Speaking of that, it looked like oil or grease collected under the yam on its skin and on the aluminum foil substrate. I'm curious what that is. I was hungry so I ate it instead of playing food scientist.

...Speaking of that, it looked like oil or grease collected under the yam on its skin and on the aluminum foil substrate. I'm curious what that is. I was hungry so I ate it instead of playing food scientist.

I see that too with the orange ones. Never thought much about it. I assume it's just the natural juices in the potato.

Well no matter what my few listless stabs did my garnet yam was delicious! I overcooked it like I usually desire to do (although not so much that the skin got tough or blackened) and the skin peeled off with little effort and the flesh easily mashed under my fork. I love sweet yams with just butter and salt.

I think next time I'll just throw the damned yam into the oven without any treatment other than putting a piece of aluminum foil under it to catch any moisture.

Speaking of that, it looked like oil or grease collected under the yam on its skin and on the aluminum foil substrate. I'm curious what that is. I was hungry so I ate it instead of playing food scientist.

It is the natural sugars of the "sweet" potato. :yum:

I don't stab. Sweet potatoes go into the oven nekkid. I really don't see how a few feeble stab holes in a rather thin skin makes any difference. And I don't see that the skin is so tough or so unbroken that it will contain steam to the point of an explosion. Haven't had it happen, at any rate.

HOWEVER, those who have access to true yams may well have a different experience, since the yam skin is very different from sweet potato, thicker and rougher. I don't see real yams here much.

On the other hand, poling holes can't hurt anything, either.

I usually poke a couple of tiny holes in my russets before baking either in the traditional oven and the microwave.

As for sweet potatoes, I almost always trim the tiniest bit off the "point" of each end. The ones we get here seem to have a little tip on each end, which makes the trim simple. No need to poke as this creates a "vent."

Glenn and I both eat the skins of our sweet potatoes. I always have.

Then I should wash my garnet yam next time and try the skin when it's served. I certainly like the skins on russet potatoes.

I think I remember an exploding potato, at least once in my life. Ever after that, I stab each one, at least once.

but I found a tool which cuts the baking time in half for baked potatoes....it's just a long metal skewer with a ring on the end. Putting the skewer right through the length of a potato heats up the potato on the inside while the oven heats the outside. Presto whammo! - quick baked potato!

I think I remember an exploding potato, at least once in my life. Ever after that, I stab each one, at least once.

but I found a tool which cuts the baking time in half for baked potatoes....it's just a long metal skewer with a ring on the end. Putting the skewer right through the length of a potato heats up the potato on the inside while the oven heats the outside. Presto whammo! - quick baked potato!
You can use a large nail.

Gourmet Greg;1135169[B said:
]Is there any reason to stab that yam with a fork before you roast it? The theory is that it lets out steam. Said theory does not explain relative merits of letting or not letting steam out. Maybe my thoughts have become mixed about microwaving a yam (or potato) in order to prevent steam pressure from exploding your tuber.[/B] :)

Roast, as in stick it in a preheated 350° oven for about an hour... And for the record, I'm referring to garnet yams which are probably more accurately called a type of sweet potato. (Different regions of the world have different names.) It's the one with a dark reddish skin and when cooked has an orange, sweet inside. :yum:

I hope we can avoid a philosophical discussion over exactly what constitutes a yam. :) For the purposes of this discussion it probably makes little difference what species you're cooking whether yam, potato or sweet potato, other than whether or not you intend to eat the skin.

For that matter, is there any reason to do anything to your yam other than put it in the oven? We don't eat the skins--at least I don't!--so I can't see any real need to even wash it.

I know some people wrap their potatoes in aluminum foil, or wash them, oil them... I wash my potatoes because I eat the skin, and don't oil or wrap them because I like the way the skin get without doing that. But yams aren't potatoes. I'm pretty sure nobody eats yam skins. (Or if you care to comment, why not? Maybe some people eat yam skins. I never gave it any thought.)

So tonight I stabbed my yam a few times, listlessly. Maybe it helped let out some pent up feelings. Nothing like taking it out on a tuber. ;)

What do you say? Stab it? Wash it? Or just put it in?

Lots of "food for thought" here.

I pierce potatoes and certain vegetables (spaghetti squash etc.) when I microwave to vent, as microwaving cooks food from the inside out.

Roasting vs baking. Anything over 350 deg, I consider roasting, but I bake potatoes at 350, no aluminum foil or one potato at a time.

Washing - Yes. Anything that grows in the ground/covered with dirt, gets washed/scrubbed regardless of whether I eat the skin or not.

Last edited:
I have read that they are "flakier" if you stab them before oven roasting, potatoes at least.

It's true! At least in my experience. I've baked both regular white Idaho bakers & sweet potatoes "stabbed" & "unstabbed", & in every instance the "stabbed" onces yielded "drier" (in a GOOD way) flesh. Unstabbed taters were way too moist & mushy.

So, you armchair "scientists" aside - there must be something good going on re: perforating your taters.

Reading through this thread I didn't see anyone who rubs their taters with evoo and salt. We always do this it gives a lightly crisp skin that is delightful to eat. Anyone do this or just me?
kades

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom