"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Stab that yam with a fork before you roast it?

Is there any reason to stab that yam with a fork before you roast it? The theory is that it lets out steam. Said theory does not explain relative merits of letting or not letting steam out. Maybe my thoughts have become mixed about microwaving a yam (or potato) in order to prevent steam pressure from exploding your tuber.

Roast, as in stick it in a preheated 350 oven for about an hour... And for the record, I'm referring to garnet yams which are probably more accurately called a type of sweet potato. (Different regions of the world have different names.) It's the one with a dark reddish skin and when cooked has an orange, sweet inside.

I hope we can avoid a philosophical discussion over exactly what constitutes a yam. For the purposes of this discussion it probably makes little difference what species you're cooking whether yam, potato or sweet potato, other than whether or not you intend to eat the skin.

For that matter, is there any reason to do anything to your yam other than put it in the oven? We don't eat the skins--at least I don't!--so I can't see any real need to even wash it.

I know some people wrap their potatoes in aluminum foil, or wash them, oil them... I wash my potatoes because I eat the skin, and don't oil or wrap them because I like the way the skin get without doing that. But yams aren't potatoes. I'm pretty sure nobody eats yam skins. (Or if you care to comment, why not? Maybe some people eat yam skins. I never gave it any thought.)

So tonight I stabbed my yam a few times, listlessly. Maybe it helped let out some pent up feelings. Nothing like taking it out on a tuber.

What do you say? Stab it? Wash it? Or just put it in?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I've had both types explode in my oven creating a mess. Not fun to clean up plus, you're left empty handed as far as baked potatoes go
kadesma

Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've only stabbed them putting them in the microwave.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I always stab sweet potatoes and russets with a knife as I start them in the microwave and move them to the toaster or regular oven to finish. I've never had the white skinned sweet potatoes, just the orange ones.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I always wash my veggies. Including potatoes and sweet potatoes. I do give a couple of fork stabs and eat the skins of the white ones, but not the sweet ones. As kadesma stated, cleaning up an exploded one is no fun. And you are still hungry. So there is a valid reason for the rule of stabbing them. Even if with just one or two stabs.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I always wash and "vent" my potatoes as well as yams. As far as the yams go it sure makes it easier to peel off the skin when it's done cooking.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Half Baked

We aso get the mexican variety that has a red skin and darker orange flesh. I stab the for the micro since the time and temp cook the potato so fast it can explode. I don't it's so necessary ate slower speeds.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have read that they are "flakier" if you stab them before oven roasting, potatoes at least.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Well no matter what my few listless stabs did my garnet yam was delicious! I overcooked it like I usually desire to do (although not so much that the skin got tough or blackened) and the skin peeled off with little effort and the flesh easily mashed under my fork. I love sweet yams with just butter and salt.

I think next time I'll just throw the damned yam into the oven without any treatment other than putting a piece of aluminum foil under it to catch any moisture.

Speaking of that, it looked like oil or grease collected under the yam on its skin and on the aluminum foil substrate. I'm curious what that is. I was hungry so I ate it instead of playing food scientist.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
...Speaking of that, it looked like oil or grease collected under the yam on its skin and on the aluminum foil substrate. I'm curious what that is. I was hungry so I ate it instead of playing food scientist.

I see that too with the orange ones. Never thought much about it. I assume it's just the natural juices in the potato.

Tags
recipe, roast

Stab that yam with a fork before you roast it? Is there any reason to stab that yam with a fork before you roast it? The theory is that it lets out steam. Said theory does not explain relative merits of letting or not letting steam out. Maybe my thoughts have become mixed about microwaving a yam (or potato) in order to prevent steam pressure from exploding your tuber. :smile: Roast, as in stick it in a preheated 350 oven for about an hour... And for the record, I'm referring to [I]garnet yams[/I] which are probably more accurately called a type of sweet potato. (Different regions of the world have different names.) It's the one with a dark reddish skin and when cooked has an orange, sweet inside. :yum: I hope we can avoid a philosophical discussion over exactly what constitutes a yam. :smile: For the purposes of this discussion it probably makes little difference what species you're cooking whether yam, potato or sweet potato, other than whether or not you intend to eat the skin. For that matter, is there any reason to do anything to your yam other than put it in the oven? We don't eat the skins--at least [I]I[/I] don't!--so I can't see any real need to even wash it. I know some people wrap their potatoes in aluminum foil, or wash them, oil them... I wash my potatoes because I eat the skin, and don't oil or wrap them because I like the way the skin get without doing that. But yams aren't potatoes. I'm pretty sure nobody eats yam skins. (Or if you care to comment, why not? Maybe some people eat yam skins. I never gave it any thought.) So tonight I stabbed my yam a few times, listlessly. Maybe it helped let out some pent up feelings. Nothing like taking it out on a tuber. :wink: What do you say? Stab it? Wash it? Or just put it in? 3 stars 1 reviews