Stewed Zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Stewed Zucchini

Ingredients

3 to 4 medium zucchini unpeeled, split and thick-sliced
1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes (or two 14.5-ounce cans)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped (or you can use a combination of red and green peppers)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)

In a large saucepan, combine the zucchini, tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery,
onion, bell pepper, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Place the pan over
medium-high heat and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for about 45 minutes, or
until the zucchini and other vegetables are tender.

Remove the cover for the last 10 minutes.

Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve hot.

Looks good LT and I do something similar, however, I don't cook it nearly that long. I like the zucchini just barely tender, but that's just me.
Thanks for the recipe.

Looks good LT and I do something similar, however, I don't cook it nearly that long. I like the zucchini just barely tender, but that's just me.
Thanks for the recipe.

That was my first thought when I read the recipe. I've never cooked zucchini that long because it turns to mush. I like it with some texture remaining.

You could probably add the zucchini in during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, I imagine. I love zucchini. In fact I'm eating some right now with my fish. I slice it, lightly bread the slices and 'fry' them in a pan with just a touch of olive oil. Into the bread crumb mixture, I add a couple tablespoons of flax meal as well.

I love zucchini. In fact I'm eating some right now with my fish. I slice it, lightly bread the slices and 'fry' them in a pan with just a touch of olive oil. Into the bread crumb mixture, I add a couple tablespoons of flax meal as well.

Hi Linda, I also love zucchini . Wish I had thought to do that when I had flax seeds before they went bad and had to throw them out. lol

Have you ever made this recipe? It is soo good, have made it 11 times. Hope you will like it. ;)

Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Mustard Seeds (6 servings)

3 TB veg. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs zucchini and yellow squash, cut into 1/2" dice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to pop. After about 30 seconds, add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, squash, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.

Source: Rachael Ray 12-05

Hi Linda, I also love zucchini . Wish I had thought to do that when I had flax seeds before they went bad and had to throw them out. lol

Have you ever made this recipe? It is soo good, have made it 11 times. Hope you will like it. ;)

Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Mustard Seeds (6 servings)

3 TB veg. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs zucchini and yellow squash, cut into 1/2" dice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to pop. After about 30 seconds, add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, squash, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.

Source: Rachael Ray 12-05

No, never had anything like that before. I'll have to give it a try, as I love the combination of zucchini and yellow squash (especially when it's Au Gratin!).

My favorite version of "stewed zucchini" is ratatouille, which has those delicious fresh herbs in it. This sounds almost like that, except the ing are sautéed, before the simmering. It also has eggplants in it, with the zuke, but I know some people who use all zucchini, while I use all eggplants! I really don't like mushy zucchini, but in these types of dishes it just sort of turns into part of the sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom