"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
Cook

I think the most important thing is to think local produce more than organic. Sure, you can buy organic oranges, but if they travelled several thousands of kilometers.. What's the point?

Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
... Also, do you believe the statement, 'you are what you eat'?

I think organic stuff is better, I think all the preservatives that we eat are not good for us, all the chemichals that are used in farming are not good for us. Having said that I do not buy organic.
As far as "you are what you eat" - look at my sicnature.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesKitchen
I think the most important thing is to think local produce more than organic. Sure, you can buy organic oranges, but if they travelled several thousands of kilometers.. What's the point?
agreed, Cassie!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I (and 71 other plot holders) will tell you that Homegrown veg is a world appart from anything you can buy in a shop, even stuff labeled "organic".
the home grown veg and fruit actually has a Taste, the `plastic` stuff you buy has not by comparison :(

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Smart

appreciate all your comments. They certainly are different. Not everyone agrees and that is why I ask. Just to see reasons why people feel the way they do.

If I could have a garden of my own that would solve lot of disappointment and would taste good cause we planted it. However, everyone too busy doing 'their' thing so I have to go along with best way I can.

I do love the eggs that sure look different from ones at the store. The color is so much more yellow. We had carrots and they sure did taste fresh to me. There are times when I fix something and the flavor isn't there. all the vegetables look like picure but taste isn't there.

We do all agree you are what you eat. Thank you all the your time. My dogs sure like the broccoli. It never makes them sick either. they surprise me all the time.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Doctor

guess this topic is on my mind, cause I mentioned it to my doctor that I go to Whole Foods. He asked oh, you go there? I said I would like to go more often than I do. He asked me that he heard that the word is they call the store, Whole Paycheck not Whole Foods! I take it that he doesn't really feel it is necessary to eat things that cost too much. I told him as long as the food I eat keeps me out of the hospital I will continue to fix my meals the way I do. He really kind of seemed not interested in what else I had to say. I only wonder what the bill will be this time? That is what I get for opening m mouth at the wrong time. I seem to do that a lot.

I try to believe that people want the best for one another but evidently not.

Lesson learned!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I try to believe that people want the best for one another but evidently not.

Lesson learned!
What other people think is best for you may not be what you think is best for you. You may want to consider looking around for a doctor that more reflects your values.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesKitchen
I think this is very important too!!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #19
Head Chef

Yep, food miles are very important.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #20
Sous Chef

bethzaring, I failed to mention onions. When I peeled the yellow organic onions, I didn't have the tears as when I do the ones from the store. I suffer when I peel onions always. The organic onions did not cause tears. That alone made me grateful not to have to put up with that eyes watering. They were the yellow ones like I bought from the store.
This could definitely be the age or type of onion rather than "organic". I never know from one onion tothe next whether I am going to cry or not--and some are REALLY bad.

Tags
None