"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Store Bought vs Organic

Can anyone notice any difference between store bought vs organic? I tried some eggplant that was organic and what a surprise. Such a different flavor. I was shocked that the lettuce was much different also. Since I found this out it may be hard for me to go back to buying the stuff I can afford. I do notice that I experience no physical upset as I do when eating the regular. May be the time involved that causes them to charge the price they do. Also worth the cost if it can delay any stays in a hospital. Also, do you believe the statement, 'you are what you eat'?

Thanks for your time

Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Head Chef

I throroughly believe we are what we eat.

But, I have to say, my palate is not refined enough to taste a difference with organic produce. I prefer it, but I think it is a psychological responce rather than a palate lead one. Where my palate, and my nose, really notice the difference is with FRESH produce. In Somerset I am lucky that we live next to an organic market gardener and anything we don't grow he probably does, and we wander down and chat while he picks our produce for us. Its as fresh as is possible to be when we eat it. Even with no garden in cities we manage to produce some or our own stuff (we have baby rocket and lettuces on the windowsils now, would have done tomatoes but won't be here for the full season, we always did in London!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Executive Chef

this is a hugh complicated issue that I could ramble on for days, and I may in time

But first off, Yes, I believe we are what we eat, absolutely.

I can not tell the difference between "store bought" onions and organic onions.

The taste difference between store bought and organic may have more to do with the varities/cultivars, than the growing method. "Store bought" produce cultivars are based on shipping charactertics. Organic cultivars are more likely to be based on taste, tenderness, stuff like that.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Onions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
this is a hugh complicated issue that I could ramble on for days, and I may in time

But first off, Yes, I believe we are what we eat, absolutely.

I can not tell the difference between "store bought" onions and organic onions.

The taste difference between store bought and organic may have more to do with the varities/cultivars, than the growing method. "Store bought" produce cultivars are based on shipping charactertics. Organic cultivars are more likely to be based on taste, tenderness, stuff like that.
bethzaring, I failed to mention onions. When I peeled the yellow organic onions, I didn't have the tears as when I do the ones from the store. I suffer when I peel onions always. The organic onions did not cause tears. That alone made me grateful not to have to put up with that eyes watering. They were the yellow ones like I bought from the store.

also when I eat the organic vegetables, I do not have problems with my stomach as the others. I know that isn't in my mind.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

The reason I mentioned onions is that is about the only "store bought" vegetable that I buy. And I can tell you, that my organic onions make me . I am not able to grow, or keep through the winter, enough onions.

The primary reason DH and I spend so much time and effort growing our own food, is the health reasons. We rarely get sick (except for a recent intestinal episode ) and we raise most of our own food organically. Plus we get the benefits of physcially hard work.

Carrots - Dh loves fresh cut up carrots in his lunch box, daily, and he says he can tell the difference in taste between our carrots and "store bought". But again, that could be the cultivar difference. I try different cultivars of carrots, but always pay attention to good tasting varieties. I do not like raw carrots, so I can not comment on that.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Executive Chef

There is also the case between store bought/organic and fresh. While I can't tell the difference between store bought and organic, I can tell a huge difference between something I buy at the store and something I buy at the farmer's market. They pick the fruits and veggies that morning and the taste is incredible and delicious. Cheaper than going to the co-op or whole foods! We can buy a week's worth of meals for $40 and it is worth every penny!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between store-bought organic & regular storebought produce, but I definitely CAN tell the difference between either of the former & what I grow in my wonderful organic garden every year.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Head Chef

Gosh, it seems to me people are comparing 'organic' (and I am not sure exactly what that term means anymore), with store bought, with stuff from the farm stand to home grown. As several have stated the variety, cultivars, may all differ. As may the freshness.

Have found many differences between, oh, yellow onions sold in different stores, and at different times of the year. So how can I be expected to compare an organic eggpolant sold at store A with an organic one sold at store B and make a generic comment as to the superiority of one over the other (if one exists)?

Determining whether organic stuff is tastier than the average foods you find in the store would require an experiment that, as just a regular consumer, I am unable to conduct. Too many variables I cannot control.

My only suggestion is to let folks buy what they want and feel comfortable with.

Just my take on the matter.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
The reason I mentioned onions is that is about the only "store bought" vegetable that I buy. And I can tell you, that my organic onions make me . I am not able to grow, or keep through the winter, enough onions.

The primary reason DH and I spend so much time and effort growing our own food, is the health reasons. We rarely get sick (except for a recent intestinal episode ) and we raise most of our own food organically. Plus we get the benefits of physcially hard work.

Carrots - Dh loves fresh cut up carrots in his lunch box, daily, and he says he can tell the difference in taste between our carrots and "store bought". But again, that could be the cultivar difference. I try different cultivars of carrots, but always pay attention to good tasting varieties. I do not like raw carrots, so I can not comment on that.
My Dh loves carrots..Me forget it, the only carrots I eat are home grown..I hate that dirt taste the store carrots have..I know that taste has to be from cold storage, so I refuse to eat them..I am planning to put some in here this year and let the boys learn how the plants come up and how your own home grown taste..

kadesma
Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Having worked in the food industry for more years than I will admit. Mainly in the perishable arena...my only comments on Organics is Buyer Beware!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None