Store Bought vs Organic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Can anyone notice any difference between store bought vs organic? I tried some eggplant that was organic and what a surprise. Such a different flavor. I was shocked that the lettuce was much different also. Since I found this out it may be hard for me to go back to buying the stuff I can afford. I do notice that I experience no physical upset as I do when eating the regular. May be the time involved that causes them to charge the price they do. Also worth the cost if it can delay any stays in a hospital. Also, do you believe the statement, 'you are what you eat'?

Thanks for your time

I throroughly believe we are what we eat.

But, I have to say, my palate is not refined enough to taste a difference with organic produce. I prefer it, but I think it is a psychological responce rather than a palate lead one. Where my palate, and my nose, really notice the difference is with FRESH produce. In Somerset I am lucky that we live next to an organic market gardener and anything we don't grow he probably does, and we wander down and chat while he picks our produce for us. Its as fresh as is possible to be when we eat it. Even with no garden in cities we manage to produce some or our own stuff (we have baby rocket and lettuces on the windowsils now, would have done tomatoes but won't be here for the full season, we always did in London!

this is a hugh complicated issue that I could ramble on for days, and I may in time:LOL:

But first off, Yes, I believe we are what we eat, absolutely.

I can not tell the difference between "store bought" onions and organic onions.

The taste difference between store bought and organic may have more to do with the varities/cultivars, than the growing method. "Store bought" produce cultivars are based on shipping charactertics. Organic cultivars are more likely to be based on taste, tenderness, stuff like that.

Onions

bethzaring said:
this is a hugh complicated issue that I could ramble on for days, and I may in time:LOL:

But first off, Yes, I believe we are what we eat, absolutely.

I can not tell the difference between "store bought" onions and organic onions.

The taste difference between store bought and organic may have more to do with the varities/cultivars, than the growing method. "Store bought" produce cultivars are based on shipping charactertics. Organic cultivars are more likely to be based on taste, tenderness, stuff like that.

bethzaring, I failed to mention onions. When I peeled the yellow organic onions, I didn't have the tears as when I do the ones from the store. I suffer when I peel onions always. The organic onions did not cause tears. That alone made me grateful not to have to put up with that eyes watering. They were the yellow ones like I bought from the store.

also when I eat the organic vegetables, I do not have problems with my stomach as the others. I know that isn't in my mind.

The reason I mentioned onions is that is about the only "store bought" vegetable that I buy. And I can tell you, that my organic onions make me:cry: :cry: :cry: . I am not able to grow, or keep through the winter, enough onions.

The primary reason DH and I spend so much time and effort growing our own food, is the health reasons. We rarely get sick (except for a recent intestinal episode:LOL: ) and we raise most of our own food organically. Plus we get the benefits of physcially hard work.

Carrots - Dh loves fresh cut up carrots in his lunch box, daily, and he says he can tell the difference in taste between our carrots and "store bought". But again, that could be the cultivar difference. I try different cultivars of carrots, but always pay attention to good tasting varieties. I do not like raw carrots, so I can not comment on that.

There is also the case between store bought/organic and fresh. While I can't tell the difference between store bought and organic, I can tell a huge difference between something I buy at the store and something I buy at the farmer's market. They pick the fruits and veggies that morning and the taste is incredible and delicious. Cheaper than going to the co-op or whole foods! We can buy a week's worth of meals for $40 and it is worth every penny!

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between store-bought organic & regular storebought produce, but I definitely CAN tell the difference between either of the former & what I grow in my wonderful organic garden every year.

Gosh, it seems to me people are comparing 'organic' (and I am not sure exactly what that term means anymore), with store bought, with stuff from the farm stand to home grown. As several have stated the variety, cultivars, may all differ. As may the freshness.

Have found many differences between, oh, yellow onions sold in different stores, and at different times of the year. So how can I be expected to compare an organic eggpolant sold at store A with an organic one sold at store B and make a generic comment as to the superiority of one over the other (if one exists)?

Determining whether organic stuff is tastier than the average foods you find in the store would require an experiment that, as just a regular consumer, I am unable to conduct. Too many variables I cannot control.

My only suggestion is to let folks buy what they want and feel comfortable with.

Just my take on the matter.

bethzaring said:
The reason I mentioned onions is that is about the only "store bought" vegetable that I buy. And I can tell you, that my organic onions make me:cry: :cry: :cry: . I am not able to grow, or keep through the winter, enough onions.

The primary reason DH and I spend so much time and effort growing our own food, is the health reasons. We rarely get sick (except for a recent intestinal episode:LOL: ) and we raise most of our own food organically. Plus we get the benefits of physcially hard work.

Carrots - Dh loves fresh cut up carrots in his lunch box, daily, and he says he can tell the difference in taste between our carrots and "store bought". But again, that could be the cultivar difference. I try different cultivars of carrots, but always pay attention to good tasting varieties. I do not like raw carrots, so I can not comment on that.
My Dh loves carrots..Me forget it, the only carrots I eat are home grown..I hate that dirt taste the store carrots have..I know that taste has to be from cold storage, so I refuse to eat them..I am planning to put some in here this year and let the boys learn how the plants come up and how your own home grown taste..

kadesma

Having worked in the food industry for more years than I will admit. Mainly in the perishable arena...my only comments on Organics is Buyer Beware!!

I think the most important thing is to think local produce more than organic. Sure, you can buy organic oranges, but if they travelled several thousands of kilometers.. What's the point?

In the Kitchen said:
... Also, do you believe the statement, 'you are what you eat'?

I think organic stuff is better, I think all the preservatives that we eat are not good for us, all the chemichals that are used in farming are not good for us. Having said that I do not buy organic.
As far as "you are what you eat" - look at my sicnature. ;)

CassiesKitchen said:
I think the most important thing is to think local produce more than organic. Sure, you can buy organic oranges, but if they travelled several thousands of kilometers.. What's the point?

agreed, Cassie!

I (and 71 other plot holders) will tell you that Homegrown veg is a world appart from anything you can buy in a shop, even stuff labeled "organic".
the home grown veg and fruit actually has a Taste, the `plastic` stuff you buy has not by comparison :(

Smart

appreciate all your comments. They certainly are different. Not everyone agrees and that is why I ask. Just to see reasons why people feel the way they do.

If I could have a garden of my own that would solve lot of disappointment and would taste good cause we planted it. However, everyone too busy doing 'their' thing so I have to go along with best way I can.

I do love the eggs that sure look different from ones at the store. The color is so much more yellow. We had carrots and they sure did taste fresh to me. There are times when I fix something and the flavor isn't there. all the vegetables look like picure but taste isn't there.

We do all agree you are what you eat. Thank you all the your time. My dogs sure like the broccoli. It never makes them sick either. they surprise me all the time.

Doctor

guess this topic is on my mind, cause I mentioned it to my doctor that I go to Whole Foods. He asked oh, you go there? I said I would like to go more often than I do. He asked me that he heard that the word is they call the store, Whole Paycheck not Whole Foods! I take it that he doesn't really feel it is necessary to eat things that cost too much. I told him as long as the food I eat keeps me out of the hospital I will continue to fix my meals the way I do. He really kind of seemed not interested in what else I had to say. I only wonder what the bill will be this time? That is what I get for opening m mouth at the wrong time. I seem to do that a lot.

I try to believe that people want the best for one another but evidently not.

Lesson learned!

In the Kitchen said:
I try to believe that people want the best for one another but evidently not.

Lesson learned!

What other people think is best for you may not be what you think is best for you. You may want to consider looking around for a doctor that more reflects your values.

CassiesKitchen said:

I think this is very important too!!:)

bethzaring, I failed to mention onions. When I peeled the yellow organic onions, I didn't have the tears as when I do the ones from the store. I suffer when I peel onions always. The organic onions did not cause tears. That alone made me grateful not to have to put up with that eyes watering. They were the yellow ones like I bought from the store.
This could definitely be the age or type of onion rather than "organic". I never know from one onion tothe next whether I am going to cry or not--and some are REALLY bad.

Back
Top Bottom