"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Head Chef

No, they do not.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
Sous Chef

True, I keep my potatoes stored away from onions/garlic..potatoes by themselves can have enough moisture over time to sprout.

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by appletart
True, I keep my potatoes stored away from onions/garlic..potatoes by themselves can have enough moisture over time to sprout.
If that was true don't you think that we would have a new hybrid on the market?
Old 02-17-2007, 03:09 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Hi StirBlue,

I keep my russetts together by themselves, buying about a 1/2 dozen at a time and try to use them up before they do start to sprout.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:16 AM   #15
Head Chef

appletart: I keep my red potatoes, goldens and russetts together in the potato bin. I buy five pound bags.
I use the red potatoes in soups, stews, potato salads and breakfast foods. They go fast and are replaced often.
I use the russetts for baked potatoes and sometimes frying. They do not sprout but get old and wrinkly.
The golden are new to our market and I am just starting to use them as side dishes like mashed potatoes. I also use them in pancakes and breads.
Onions are extremely expensive right now so I have been using frozen onions and bell peppers as staples.
I buy fresh onions and bell peppers for recipes (on demand) so they are not staples right now.
Normally I have (3)white, (3)yellow and sometimes (1)red onions in the bin. The green onions are stored with carrots, celery ...etc.
The garlic is stored in a container in the cabinet with the dried spices. I buy garlic about every two weeks.
I have instant potatoes in the cupboard, frozen potatoes in the freezer but I do not use canned potatoes.
We had an Indian Summer during the fall and some of the garden onions that I had in a cloth bag hanging in a basket did sprout. There were 8" sprouts growing from each. It was very unusual. It may have been the onion variety that my neighbor had planted.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Hi Stirblue,
My hubby Steve loves red potatoes more than me, but we use them and russets, in various and different ways: salads, stews, made mashed potatoes, made also cubed, then fried w/butter and parsley, sometimes w/garlic and onions..we have saved sprouted reds and russets and tossed them into the ground and they've come up big enough size to harvest..

Steve has quite a garden in the Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter here in Sacramento..during the year, he plants different varieties of sweet peppers, hot peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, zucchinis, lettuce, potted varieties of parseley, chives, volunteer oregano, green scallions, also cantloupes, Asian watermelons..we also have a nectarine tree and a plum tree that has about 4 grafted varieties of plums, also a pomelo, grapefruit, lemon, blueberry bush, potted strawberries..but when we have too hot or to cold here in Sacto, the plants will suffer..but it's getting warmer again, so we'll be starting anew..

Old 02-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I store my potatoes in what we call a "Cold Room" insulated away from the remainder of our basement. Cooler temperature. I have shelves for all can goods and one bin for potatoes and one for onions. (not close)

Candocook. Yes. Do not keep onions and potatoes together. I have a laundry room with tile floor and have small bin for daily potatoes and a small basket for daily onions. The laundry room is cooler room in our house.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
Senior Cook

This web site has tips on storing lots of different foods:
Veggie Storage - Farm Direct Co-op

This site says not to store onions and potatoes together because it will cause both to spoil
How to Store Potatoes - eHow.com

And this site says they won't affect one another but they should be stored at different temps "There is absolutely no truth to the story that potatoes and onions should not be stored together because one makes the other sprout. The truth is, they have different storage temperature requirements. The optimal storage temperature for potatoes is 40 degrees, the temperature at which onions sprout."
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...h247onion.html

it is funny how much different info you can find

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
Head Chef

appletart: Thanks for sharing so much about your garden. I noticed that Steve has potted strawberries growing in his garden. What variety of strawberry is this and what size pot would I need. And soil too.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Hi StirBlue,

The strawberries, currently frozen, but slowly coming back is an old plant that has been cut back each year, so the fruits are getting smaller and smaller.I think we planted (a long time ago) either Tioga or Sequoia..he used he uses nitrogen potash, phosphorus fertilizer products and supersoil..we'll probabably start w/new plantings as soon as the risk of frost is over for the spring/summer crop ( I put them in those patio pots about 5 gallon size..

Tags
None