Storing Potatoes and Onions Together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdmc

Assistant Cook
Some one told me not to store potatoes and onions togeather but could not remember why. Does anyone here know? Thanks

Supposedly this combination creates a gas that causes both to spoil. I do this and haven't noticed any negative consequences, but I typically use them in less than two weeks.

My onions and potatoes are stored together in the vegetable bin of my refrigerator.

They both last a long time in good shape there without sprouting.

mdmc, I've read the same thing.

CC, you don't notice a different taste & texture in your refrigerated potatoes? I've heard the cold temp converts the starch into sugar, making them taste sweet.

We don't eat many potatoes, so there's not really a storage issue here. I do keep my onions in a basket on top of the fridge ... shallots too ... which is supposedly a no-no because of the warm temp, but I've never had a problem with sprouting ... maybe because they don't sit there long enough.

Nope, I don't notice a bit of difference.

Potatoes should be kept in a cool dry dark place anyway.

choclatechef said:
Potatoes should be kept in a cool dry dark place anyway.
Cool yes, but not cold. But hey if it works for you then that is all that matters.

Why don't you do a test.

Take a couple pounds of potatoes and divide them in half. Put half under the sink or wherever, and half in the vegetable bin of your refrigerator.

Check in one month, and compare.

I read that, but I still say try my experiment.

For me, since I have been doing this for over a year successfully, it works and your potatoes will last longer.

But, I can only give you advice from what I have learned. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

I did some research on this topic once and read that storing onions and potatoes isn't a good thing.. they both emit similar type fumes or gas that spreads/increases the spoiling of each.

However, if you toss an apple in with your potatoes, that will prevent them from sprouting... The article said an apple emits some gas or fumes (can't remember or spell what it is anyway) that somehow inhibits the "eyes" sprouting.

I've been doing this and it works..

My Mom has kept her potatoes and onions in the fridge for years. I don't have the space so I keep onions in a low cupboard and potatoes in the basement. Sometimes they keep well and other times they don't. I think it depends on the storage conditions before you buy, how long they been kept in storage etc. I've also read somewhere that if potatoes start to sprout, you can emove the "eyes" and they'll keep longer.

I'd rather buy potatoes more frequently and not have to worry about the storage issue. (No basements in south Louisiana.)

Speaking of potatoes ... from the looks of things I've got some growing in the compost bins. :-p

I've always stored them together in the fridge. I do put paper towels above and below in the drawer as not to build up moisture tho. Seemse to work well.

choclatechef said:
Why don't you do a test.

Take a couple pounds of potatoes and divide them in half. Put half under the sink or wherever, and half in the vegetable bin of your refrigerator.

Check in one month, and compare.

That's cheating, choc! You know that under the sink isn't a good place to store veges. The cabinet under a sink is not a cool dry place - it is usually humid and has temperature fluctuations (from washing dishes, etc.) that make it warmer than just about any other place in the kitchen ... and being in a cabinet restricts air flow.

Michael in FtW said:
That's cheating, choc! You know that under the sink isn't a good place to store veges. The cabinet under a sink is not a cool dry place - it is usually humid and has temperature fluctuations (from washing dishes, etc.) that make it warmer than just about any other place in the kitchen ... and being in a cabinet restricts air flow.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: You caught me Mike!

Actually, I did say "or wherever". :rolleyes:

lutzzz said:
I did some research on this topic once and read that storing onions and potatoes isn't a good thing.. they both emit similar type fumes or gas that spreads/increases the spoiling of each.

However, if you toss an apple in with your potatoes, that will prevent them from sprouting... The article said an apple emits some gas or fumes (can't remember or spell what it is anyway) that somehow inhibits the "eyes" sprouting.

I've been doing this and it works..

I think it's called ethylene gas, lutzz.

I have also kept potatoes and onions in the fridge for years now. (Not the same onions and potatoes, by the way.) I see absolutely no difference in the onions, and the potatoes MAYBE get a bit of sweetness to them on a rare occasion, but certainly not all the time. It's nothing horrible at any rate. What I would find horrible would be going to the store every few days to buy an onion or a couple of spuds, so this is something I'm willing to live with.

BC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom