Storing Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually keep tomatoes at room temp unless they're very ripe & in danger of spoiling.

However, since I grow a lot of them myself, I do store a number of them in the fridge when they're ripe, & haven't found a big taste difference - so long as they're totally ripe when put in. In fact, one of my favorite summer treats is an ice-cold home-grown tomato sprinkled with salt & freshly-ground black pepper & eaten like an apple.

Andy M. said:
The key temperature is 55F. If a tomato chills to below 55F, flavor is lost forever. I store tomatoes in a basket on the kitchen counter. If I cut a tomato and have some leftover, I wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the same basket.

A basement / cellar larder (cool dark place with 50% relative humidity)seems like a good place to store tomatoes as well as most other foodstuffs.

I actually didn't know that the fridge ruins their taste, and so have been singing about how great Kenyan tomatoes taste, little did I realise that it's the fridge that spoils the taste, my mama never stored her's in the fridge! Great to know. Live and learn! Thanks.

Sorry "President", but "dehydrated" or "dried" tomatoes have nothing to do with how best to store fresh ones.

Sun-dried tomatoes, & other dried vegetables, do have their place in certain recipes, but regardless of what "awards" & "resorts" your company sells to, they will never take the place of fresh, properly stored produce.

(And I could be wrong, but I think the blatant advertisement for your company is definitely out of line here. . . )

What about if you live in really hot weather? How long would they last outside? Currently where I live it's 45-50 degrees celcius in Summer. The kitchen becomes like a sauna!

Turando said:
What about if you live in really hot weather? How long would they last outside? Currently where I live it's 45-50 degrees celcius in Summer. The kitchen becomes like a sauna!

How about your garage? Just wrap them tightly so no intruders get in, and set them in a box of some sort so no light hits em. Or a cabinet elsewhere, anywhere cool. If you have no other choice refrigerate, Ive worked produce for years and many times they come in already stored in a refrigerator car.

Back
Top Bottom