"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Storing turnips

Help...as some of you know, I live high in the Rocky Mountains. Winter is fast approaching. There's a lady in town who has some turnips and carrots in her garden. She's already shared some with us and says they have so many more that they will just pull them up and throw them away! If I get some more from her, how do I keep them? I have a space under my house...will that work? Or do they have to be refrigerated? Thanks for any advice...

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Root vegetables will keep well and for a long time in a cool dark place. They cannot be allowed to freeze.

Back in the 'old days' folks kept their root vegetables in a root cellar. A box or boxes filled with sand or sawdust will extend 'shelf' life.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I know you can freeze them (cut up first), much as you would carrots. If you happen to get them with the green tops on these are great cooked as you would other greens (turnip tops are high in vitamin C).

Sorry, I don't know too much about storing them, but I recall reading that they naturally get a little sweeter with time as the starches convert to sugars. I hope someone can answer you question better than I did

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Head Chef

Thanks for your answers...I think I'll try to get some - the worst that can happen is that I have to throw them out later. Garden fresh turnips for Thanksgiving sound really good though. I'm guessing I should leave the tops and the root end untouched for storing...

Old 10-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
If you're a fan of brown sugar or maple glazed carrots you can do the same thing with turnips They are also nice added to mashed potatoes (cooked first) or into the roasting pan with a bird or joint of beef/pork.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Master Chef

They should keep very well under your house...cut off the leafy parts (those will rot) but leave the stem and root and pack them in straw.
Here in the midwest, a lot of people just leave them in the ground and dig as they need them. They'll be fine until the ground freezes, and it has to stay really cold for a long time for that to happen. Lots of times, you can dig right through the snow.
An old-fashioned method is to dig a pit...sort of a mini root celler...line it with straw, put in your turnips & carrots, cover with more straw and then dirt.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thank you, Constance...that's just what I needed to know!

Tags
None