"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Well, sounds like I wasted a few bucks on that gadget! But it does do the trick, and it's fun!
Next time, show us what you want first and we'll tell you if there's another way to do it. That way, you can save your money and kitchen space for stuff that's maybe more versatile, or something else you want that you thought you couldn't afford

Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Next time, show us what you want first and we'll tell you if there's another way to do it. That way, you can save your money and kitchen space for stuff that's maybe more versatile, or something else you want that you thought you couldn't afford
I'll admit that I have roasted peppers in the oven, on the grill and over the open stove-flame. But I just HAD to have the latest gadget. I'm not usually a sucker... I swear. We will use this again though!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'll admit that I have roasted peppers in the oven, on the grill and over the open stove-flame. But I just HAD to have the latest gadget. I'm not usually a sucker... I swear. We will use this again though!
It is cute, I'll give ya that - it's the exact color of the new paint job in my kitchen
Old 04-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
We bought a chili roaster for the stovetop. It doesn't do much more than your stove's flame covers already do, but it allows a bit more freedom to roll and turn the peppers, and it's easier to do multiple peppers without a balancing act on the stovetop. There is no bottom to the "pan" so it slips right over your flame.

Pretty neat. It's from Rick Bayless' line of cookware. He's so cool!

I would love to get my hands on one of those. I usually use my weber if I have a whole bunch to roast. Otherwise, I do the balancing act as you mention if it is only a few.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #15
Master Chef

I don't think that you wasted your money......as someone who likes to make recipes calling for grilled eggplant and we also loved blackened peppers I would like to have one of these as I have a flat top range (I'm assuming this would work on a flattop??) I put my roasted veggies in a paper lunch sack to get the skins off........
Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I don't think that you wasted your money......as someone who likes to make recipes calling for grilled eggplant and we also loved blackened peppers I would like to have one of these as I have a flat top range (I'm assuming this would work on a flattop??) I put my roasted veggies in a paper lunch sack to get the skins off........
I don't know what you mean by "a flat top range". If you mean one of those electric ranges with what looks like hot plates for burners, it probably will NOT work. You need a flame, I think, to properly char the skin so they can be removed.

Yes, I seal my roasted chilies in a zip lock bag. The skins come off much easier after the chili is sweated and cooled.

You can make "chili powder" from the skins. Just dry them; grind them finely in a spice grinder (I use an older coffee grinder). This is the same technique that people use to make "tomato dust", discussed on another forum recently. Very tasty!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #17
Master Chef

ok, no flame, so I've saved a few bucks it looks like......I generally broil mine then but I still use the brown paper bag method afterwards........
Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
ok, no flame, so I've saved a few bucks it looks like......I generally broil mine then but I still use the brown paper bag method afterwards........
I meant to call the powder I make from the skins of the removed chilies "chili dust", just like from tomatoes it is called "tomato dust".

Don't forget to put a couple holes in the chilies before you roast them, or you might have an explosion and a hellish mess cleaning up all those chili seeds everywhere.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
Master Chef

believe me, I've become a nuclear explosion expert...........nothing is worse than trying to remove exploded innards in an oven.....one time is inexperience and ignorance.........two times is stupidity
Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
believe me, I've become a nuclear explosion expert...........nothing is worse than trying to remove exploded innards in an oven.....one time is inexperience and ignorance.........two times is stupidity
At least the oven is a controlled space environment. Imagine
when it happens on a stove top! Yikes. Little, tiny, sticky,
stubborn seeds everywhere!

Tags
None