"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
ah... but if you make frosting right, from scratch.... I'll save it for last and pig out!
:)

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
Master Chef

Neah, can't stand it. Even as a kid a did not like it. The cake shouold be great with out any frosting, then I know it is a gook cake.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
My dd use to LOVE veggies, she ate everything, broccoli, spinach,carrots everything....but now....she will not go NEAR veggies! The only time she will eat them is when they are in a soup! (I don't want to just give her soup everyday) I have no idea why. Its not that they are softer because I have tried over cooking different veggies to make them very tender for her but she just will not have it!
Does anyone have any veggie dishes that might get her into veggies again?? The only sorce of vegies she gets these days is the fruit juices that have vegetables in them(V8).

She's the same way with fresh fruit but I have many ways around that i.e smoothies, yougurt, fruit bars, 100% juice ect...

Please HELP ME with my strong willed daughter!?!?
A friend of mine actually hides veggies in her shakes as well as fruit. She loves to put kale in them and her kids never know. You can also puree things like squash or carrots and hide them in mac n cheese.

And try this link:
How to get your child to eat green veggies
Smoothie Recipies

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #24
Executive Chef

oh she doesn't have to be on it, it just kinda happened. When she was a baby I had to take her off breast milk because we thought she might be lactose intolerant, while we were testing it I had her on Soy formula because the doctor said it was a bit gentler. This was for about a week and then I just stayed with soy formula because I dried up...sorry guys...when she was older I tried to switch over to whole milk so she could have the fat from it for development...she would not drink it! I even tried mixing the soy a whole milk to get her use to it slowly...she could always taste the difference! Mind you this was still the soy formula, it was getting way too expensive and she drank sooo much so after having to throw away a gallon of milk away two different times I tried the unsweeted soy in a carton...she chugged it! And its been that way since. I even accidentally bought the plain soy once instead of unsweetened....she wouldn't touch it.
I figured now because she is older if I need to I can just cut her off and depend on other sorces for calcium until I can get her into milk but thats if I need to....
the controversy was that soy gives the children extra hormones that cause them to enter into puberty earlier or develop too quickly....??Has anyone heard this?

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I haven't heard that, but I wasn't listening either.... :)
They say the same of cow milk and hormone issues sometimes but I guess I don't worry about much.
Mine didn't switch from regular formula to regular milk very fast, but keep trying. They take lots and lots of time to accept change in anything.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #26
Master Chef

[quote=deelady;654865]oh she doesn't have to be on it, it just kinda happened. When she was a baby I had to take her off breast milk because we thought she might be lactose intolerant, while we were testing it I had her on Soy formula because the doctor said it was a bit gentler.

My daughter did great on breast milk, but she had top and bottom teeth by the time she was 9 months old, and I decided that enough was enough.
The doctor said to wean her to a cup, as she never liked bottles, and that worked fine. But she ended up being allergic to cow's milk, and broke out in terrible hives! The doctor put her on soy formula, which she drank out of a cup, but she really didn't like it, and has never liked cow's milk either. She does, however, love cheese and ice cream.

By the way, my baby is 36 now, so I'm sure they have better stuff now than they did then.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #27
Executive Chef

they have in even in chocolate now...although I never dared introduce her to that in fear of her not wanting plain ever again! She didn't even have any juice until about the age of 15 months! Figured I'd wait as long as I could since she loved water so much!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Look at us, how we said it together.
Look at us CharlieD, you speak with a Russian accent and I keep reading your posts with a Russian accent!!!! ...every. single. time. ..

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

deelady, you have got some good advice from others. I would just keep making the veggies available. She will most likely suddenly change her mind and decide that she likes them again.

There are several ways that you can add extra veggies into things and make disappear. Jessica Seinfeld has a cookbook out on this topic "Deceptively Delicious". While I personally have not tried anything out of it, I know alot of mommies that have and have had pretty good luck with it.

Wraps made with cream cheese, meats, cheese and shredded carrots, zucchini and baby spinach are popular at our house. I take the tortilla, spread it with some cream cheese, cover with a single layer of baby spinch leaves, top with shredded carrots and zucchini, meats and cheeses. Roll up tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for 4 hours before eating. The veggies just kind of melt together and my kids (5 and 2) LOVE them.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #30
Head Chef

I have a great, easy glazed carrots recipe you might want to try. My kids couldn't get enough of when they were small.

Tags
None