"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Yup. Glazed carrots. Works every time!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #32
Executive Chef

MMmmmmm pretty blue eyes I love that idea FOR ME!! My DD does love tortilla wraps but I never thought to try to hide veggies in them.....I'll give it a try thanks.
And mama those carrots sound yummy but I really don't think she would go for them, unlike most kids my rascal isn't a big fan of sweetened stuff, shes more of a savory girl. But I will be keeping that recipe for other uses thank you....and I have never told you but I love your recipe sight! I even made your sausage and gravy last week, it was very good except I made the mistake and used ground pork instead of sausage meat so I had to add extra seasoning but I will def be making it again plus more from your sight! Thank you!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #33
Head Chef

I'm glad you like my website! I've enjoyed building it. My kids are glad...now when they call most of the time we just get to talk instead of me hearing...MamahowdoI?

Yeah, you need to use a good quality sausage when making the gravy. i prefer Tennessee Pride or Rudys Farm. I'm not real keen on Jimmy Dean...a little too greasy.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 AM   #34
Senior Cook

What if you didn't feed her until she was hungry enough to eat vegetables? Skipping one or two meals ought to do it.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
What if you didn't feed her until she was hungry enough to eat vegetables? Skipping one or two meals ought to do it.
Spoken from someone who must not have kids

Kids are a heck of a lot more stubborn than that unfortunately.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #36
Executive Chef

stew is similar to soup and maybe a pot pie (simple bought crust over your stew) or make biscuits for the crust. would that work?

Sauce for pasta can have lots of veggies pureed if need be ...onion garlic carrots celery.

How about mashed potatoes? are those eaten? if so you can mash some rutabaga (golden turnip) in with them...really good btw...and just say two different colors of potato, or use the gold potatoes. Peas and potato, cabage and potato, cauliflower and potato. Sheppard's pie ... peas carrots celery with the ground meat and a potato crust in which you can add the above. we always loved it as kids ... still do!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I've never tried pot pies with her, I don't know why because I use to always buy those (Marie Calendars is pretty decent).
I also just saw a recipe for a pasta sauce yesterday in a Toddle magazine that hides carrots and zuccini....some of the most simplest solutions had completely escaped me! Although I'm not too surprised because often with my DD its hard to even hear myself think!
As far as the other suggestions Robo, they sound delishious to me but wouldn't fly with her highness...I think she also has a little bit of texture issues (like her dad) she has always snubbed her nose at potatoes of any kind mostly mashed (she occasionally will venture with a french fry, but not sweet potato).
Side thought* it really amazes me how traits really do seem to be inherited, like I mentioned the issue of dislike with certain textures like her dad, he never speaks on it yet they share the same dislikes! He is often out of the country for his job so I know hes not influencing her! Interesting.....

You guys have really given me great ideas, I knew by asking I would quickly be put on the right track! Thanks!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #38
Executive Chef

guess what my DD is now a major fan of spinache omeletts, she almost ate a whole 3 egg omelette all by herself!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
I think in the states they call that child abuse ~ or a license to eat what they can find like crayons or cat food.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #40
Master Chef

deelady, don't fret about the little one not eating veggies right now. All kids go through stages and alot of the time it has to do with the developing body. The kids do go through changes in their ability to taste different things and smell different things so as these senses become more discerning you will see a change in what they like to eat. Don't get hooked into thinking she needs to have x amount of each food group each day. Look at her diet over the course of two weeks and you will see that she really is getting overall good nutrition. And remember she is only 1! She will like and dislike alot of things over the next several years. Keep offering good options and things will be fine.

Tags
None