"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Head Chef

In Chile they are very common. Most I saw were stuffed with chicken salad. Here is a pic of one I was served in Chile with shrimp and mayo.

Here is one I made with chicken salad.

They are really good stuffed with ceviche.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

In Mexico, we saw avocados the size of a human head! No wonder guacamole was so cheap!

When I was in London for a class many years ago, we frequently had avocado stuffed with whole prawns, with a very light creamy dressing. Yum!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
Master Chef

My favourite way to eat avocado is mashed with salt, black pepper and a bit of lemon. Spread on hot buttered toast. You can also make a chopped crispy salad with a few chopped dill pickles and mayo. Fill the avo halves with this and top with smoked salmon and serve with crusty bread or rye.
A sandwich with crisp bacon, guacamole, salsa and a soft fried egg is great too. Sounds strange but it's great. Made it for a hangover cure one time lol!
I have a sweet avocado pie recipe if you want, different but good!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
Master Chef

Gorgeous pictures PP !!

We live in a town that's surrounded by lemon and avocado orchards, and I've stuffed them with all kinds of concoctions too.
For a quick fix, I like to fill the hole with bottled seafood chili sauce, sprinkle on some garlic powder, a squeeze of fresh lemon, then get a spoon and have at it.

Did you know that if you leave the pit in half a cut avocado, it won't turn brown while being stored in the refrigerator? It's the same with serving Guacamole. In addition to using lemon juice, placing the pit in the middle of the Guacamole, will keep it from turning brown. I guess avocado's are stupid, they don't know when they've been cut.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
My favourite way to eat avocado is mashed with salt, black pepper and a bit of lemon. Spread on hot buttered toast. You can also make a chopped crispy salad with a few chopped dill pickles and mayo. Fill the avo halves with this and top with smoked salmon and serve with crusty bread or rye.
A sandwich with crisp bacon, guacamole, salsa and a soft fried egg is great too. Sounds strange but it's great. Made it for a hangover cure one time lol!
I have a sweet avocado pie recipe if you want, different but good!
Snip, I tried this at our annual Avocado Festival. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but that particular pie was

Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Stuffed with a soft boiled egg, put back together rolled in egg then panko and deep fried. Oh my it is so good
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Stuffed with a soft boiled egg, put back together rolled in egg then panko and deep fried. Oh my it is so good
WOW.......talk about a new way with avocado jim!! I have to try that one!! I may even submit that to next years Avocado Festival!!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Snip, I tried this at our annual Avocado Festival. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but that particular pie was
Maybe it was a bad recipe You can't really tell it's avocado in the recipe I've got.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Gorgeous pictures PP !!
Thank you!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One avocado is ripe so I made the shrimp salad. I'm just watching some TV, reading and waiting for the shrimp salad to get cold.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avocado, recipe

Stuffed Avocados I found a couple of the most beautiful avocados today. I also picked up a pound of frozen wild caught 91/xxx shrimp (cleaned, of course). One of my favorite dinners is a simple shrimp salad stuffed avocado. Do you stuff your avocados and if so, with what?:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews