"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I just had avocados for the first time a month ago or so. I believe it was Rocklobster who told me how to pick the ripe ones from the store. I grilled the halves and stuffed with corn and black bean salsa. The warm avocado and cold salsa was nice.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just had avocados for the first time a month ago or so. I believe it was Rocklobster who told me how to pick the ripe ones from the store. I grilled the halves and stuffed with corn and black bean salsa. The warm avocado and cold salsa was nice.
Good golly Pac!! I can't imagine how you've gotten through life with just now having your first avocado!! What's taken you so long?

I bet the salsa of yellow corn and black beans were down right purdy in that green avocado!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Good golly Pac!! I can't imagine how you've gotten through life with just now having your first avocado!! What's taken you so long?

I bet the salsa of yellow corn and black beans were down right purdy in that green avocado!!
Oh there's all kinds of things in the produce department that I haven't eaten, let alone know what they are even called
Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh there's all kinds of things in the produce department that I haven't eaten, let alone know what they are even called
Carnivore...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Carnivore...
Well... yeah.
I love my veggies, but just the basics. And I'm not a big fruit eater, especially when buying fresh fruit is an open invitation for the fruit flies to move in. I wish something could be done about that So kiwi, eggplant, turnips, parsnips (if there's a difference), all those funny looking cabages, all those new varieties of oranges, any squash that doesn't start with Z... there's lots of stuff I don't even have a passing interest to try. But if a recipe calls for something, like those grilled avocados with the salsa, then I get adventurous and try something new.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Well... yeah.
I love my veggies, but just the basics. And I'm not a big fruit eater, especially when buying fresh fruit is an open invitation for the fruit flies to move in. I wish something could be done about that So kiwi, eggplant, turnips, parsnips (if there's a difference), all those funny looking cabages, all those new varieties of oranges, any squash that doesn't start with Z... there's lots of stuff I don't even have a passing interest to try. But if a recipe calls for something, like those grilled avocados with the salsa, then I get adventurous and try something new.

I like Bacon, Avocado and Tomato sandwiches, with a little garlic aoli.

I call 'em BAT sandwiches...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I found a couple of the most beautiful avocados today. I also picked up a pound of frozen wild caught 91/xxx shrimp (cleaned, of course).

One of my favorite dinners is a simple shrimp salad stuffed avocado.

Do you stuff your avocados and if so, with what?
Yummy! I love acacados and shrimp.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #28
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=merstar;1034210]I love them stuffed with shrimp salad also. Unfortunately, I've developed an allergy to avocados, so I can't eat them anymore. [/QUOTE

Oh my! alergic to avocados... That would be like loosing my best friend.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I like Bacon, Avocado and Tomato sandwiches, with a little garlic aoli.

I call 'em BAT sandwiches...

Now I gotta try that idea. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis

Well... yeah.
We had fruit flies until I started rinsing DH's bananas. They seem to be the major players. I also rinse all other produce and promptly refrigerate it. We also have a countertop compost pail, which seemed to draw them. I cut a small plastic coke bottle in half across the middle, put the funnel part upside down in the bottom section with the neck pointing down, and put a bit of cider vinegar in it. Fruit flies get in, but they can't get out, and drown in the vinegar. Works like a charm!

Of course, this has much to do with avocado recipes...oh yeah, rinse the avocados too!

I, too, am totally amazed that one could reach adulthood without having some sort of avocado product! A true carnivore, Pac!

Tags
avocado, recipe

Stuffed Avocados I found a couple of the most beautiful avocados today. I also picked up a pound of frozen wild caught 91/xxx shrimp (cleaned, of course). One of my favorite dinners is a simple shrimp salad stuffed avocado. Do you stuff your avocados and if so, with what?:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews