"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
Totally helpful Kademsa, thank-you! I really like the idea of using red bell peppers, or perhaps a mix of orange and red, thank-you! I just adore pepper recipes assuming they stay on the mild side
Although the taste is different from pepper to pepper, if you like peppers,and, we do, I think any pepper would do..If you get the chance to make some, I hope you enjoy them.

kadesma

Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

How do you blacken your peppers? Do you grill them outside or do you blacken them on the stovetop? I've haven't ever blackened anything, sorry for the silly question. If you blacken them inside, how do you do it? Is it inside the oven? Also, when you blacken them, does this soften up the flesh enough to eat after they are baked or are they still crunchy?

Thanks

The last time I made stuffed peppers, I didn't cook them long enough I guess (about 30 minutes) and they were still really crunchy. Hubby was nice and ate them anyway.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Pax,
not a silly question at all Welcome to DC..When I do my peppers I have to do them under the broiler, I put the whole pepper on a cookie sheet and put under the broiler, this turns the skin black, I blacken all sides, then remove from oven and put into a paper bag, roll it closed and leave them til cool enough to handle, then carefull, peel off the skin, take off the stem and gently remove the ribs and seeds. I don't want to tear the peppers. Bt now the peppers are very limp and I then stuff them and procede The peppers don't blacken on the inside at all. Hope this helps. You can blacken on top of a gas stove by holding over the flame, I just have a glass cooktop so have to use the broiler..

kadesma
Old 02-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Gosh, I never even thought about the broiler. Thanks. I will have to try this next time I make them for dh. I bet the blackening really brings out the flavor in the pepper doesn't it?

Thanks for the help !!!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella
Gosh, I never even thought about the broiler. Thanks. I will have to try this next time I make them for dh. I bet the blackening really brings out the flavor in the pepper doesn't it?

Thanks for the help !!!
Your welcome Pax,
Blackening or roasting seems to make the pepper sweeter, I love them like this. We like to cut into strips and put into a container with lid and I pour over them a mix of evoo, balsamic and fresh crushed garlic. Then after a few hours or the next day, make a sandwixh with a soft french roll, the peppers, using a little of the marinade to brush one side of the roll, then put on your favorite italian meat or turkey or chicken,cheese and some tomato, lettuce thin slice of a sweet onion and a light sprinkle of salt and pepper, then either eat like it is or use a paninni grill and grill,yummy

kadesma
Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Your welcome Pax,
Blackening or roasting seems to make the pepper sweeter, I love them like this. We like to cut into strips and put into a container with lid and I pour over them a mix of evoo, balsamic and fresh crushed garlic. Then after a few hours or the next day, make a sandwixh with a soft french roll, the peppers, using a little of the marinade to brush one side of the roll, then put on your favorite italian meat or turkey or chicken,cheese and some tomato, lettuce thin slice of a sweet onion and a light sprinkle of salt and pepper, then either eat like it is or use a paninni grill and grill,yummy

kadesma
I just copied that down. I can see me making this and it would knock hubby's socks off. Thanks !!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Great Pax,
I hope he will like it. Mine sure does. It just seems to make any sandwich taste so nice.

kadesma
Old 02-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Your welcome Pax,

kadesma
I've read that non so many love anchovies, but....really, in this dish, you MUST add them in fillets. Please, try and taste....
If you allow me, always in peppers theme, I suggest you a peperonade, made at the fashion of my region , Lombardy, in the north of Italy:
Cut in slices yellow and red big peppers with some onions, and cook them with some garlic in evoo. When they are soft, add a can of tomatoes and leave them underboil for a ten minutes. You can add the flavours you like: I usually add parsley, basil and thym.
Salt them.
Yust two minutes before serving, add a big spoon of cherry marmalade, and mix. (no anchovies, please.... ).Try them....
Old 02-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I love stuffed peppers - here in the UK I use large sweet red or orange ones.
I don't skin them for my favourite way though. I choose peppers that have four lobes so they will sit flat when halved through the stalk, then cut out seeds and pith etc [a teaspoon is handy for that!] then put some crushed garlic in each half, followed by a teaspoon of pesto, half a tomato and a grinding of pepper. Then I put them in a hot oven - at least 200C - for about 25 - 30 mins until they are soft and then I top each with a small slice of goat's cheese and a grinding of black pepper. A few more minutes in the oven to start the cheese melting a bit and they are ready. I have them with boiled new potatoes or couscous and a green vegetable, such as broccoli [calabrese] on the side. They end up full of tasty juices - hence the need to have pepper halves that sit flat!

If I skin peppers by blackening under the grill I always cut them into quarters first, and remove seeds etc. I put them in a plastic bag or in a bowl with clingfilm over it, till they are cool enough to handle.

I've never tried stuffing whole skinned peppers - it sounds delicious, because the skins can occasionally stay a bit hard - perhaps if they were not very ripe. We tend not to use green peppers much - we much prefer them when they have ripened to a brilliant red, yellow or orange! Much sweeter.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARO
I love stuffed peppers - here in the UK I use large sweet red or orange ones.
I don't skin them for my favourite way though. I choose peppers that have four lobes so they will sit flat when halved through the stalk, then cut out seeds and pith etc [a teaspoon is handy for that!] then put some crushed garlic in each half, followed by a teaspoon of pesto, half a tomato and a grinding of pepper. Then I put them in a hot oven - at least 200C - for about 25 - 30 mins until they are soft and then I top each with a small slice of goat's cheese and a grinding of black pepper. A few more minutes in the oven to start the cheese melting a bit and they are ready. I have them with boiled new potatoes or couscous and a green vegetable, such as broccoli [calabrese] on the side. They end up full of tasty juices - hence the need to have pepper halves that sit flat!

If I skin peppers by blackening under the grill I always cut them into quarters first, and remove seeds etc. I put them in a plastic bag or in a bowl with clingfilm over it, till they are cool enough to handle.

I've never tried stuffing whole skinned peppers - it sounds delicious, because the skins can occasionally stay a bit hard - perhaps if they were not very ripe. We tend not to use green peppers much - we much prefer them when they have ripened to a brilliant red, yellow or orange! Much sweeter.
Caro,
I like your recipe idea for the peppers and will give it a try. The pepper I stuff are not bell peppers, but Poblano a med spicy Mexican chile pepper, they don't stay hard but get soft after charring...I posted a recipe for them, and we all got to talking about the heat of the peppers, if we could use a different pepper, other ways to stuff them..What started out one way has now evolved into a wonderful mix of stuffed pepper recipes that are wonderful.. Thank you for adding to the thread and I hope you found a recipe you might enjoy making as I'm sure we will enjoy yours.

kadesma

Tags
None