Stuffing - cooking methods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

costarica

Assistant Cook
Has anyone ever baked stuffing in their Nesco/Rival. If so how did it turn out. I want to roast my Turkey in the oven, but don 't want to stuff it, so I am going to do the stuffing in the Nesco/Rival.

Stuffing

Welcome to DC!

I think it will be fine. The Nesco is a wonder! You could even cook your turkey in it. I usually make my stuffing in the microwave. It's just reheated bread, so nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I use the Julia Child method, in my Nesco-type turkey roaster. It includes a double recipe of my world famous Sausage, Apple, and Fennel Corn Bread Stuiffing:

Ingredients:
1 day-old cast iron skillet cornbread
2 tsp light olive oil
6 ounces bulk Italian sausage
2 cups onion, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 large Granny Smith apple, diced
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced fennel bulb
1 tsp garlic, minced
½ tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
1½ cups turkey stock
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Instructions:

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and saute it until browned, stirring occasionally. Add the onion and bay leaf and cook until the onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add the apple, celery, and fennel and continue to saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) and saute 1 minute more. Remove the sausage mixture from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Cool the sausage mixture to room temperature.

Crumble the corn bread into a large bowl. Add the cooled sausage mixture to the bowl and toss to combine. Add the broth and 2 eggs to the bowl and toss to combine. Place the dressing into the bottom of the turkey roaster, arrange the turkey pieces on top of the stuffing to cover and cook as directed in the America's Test Kitchen video.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever baked stuffing in their Nesco/Rival. If so how did it turn out. I want to roast my Turkey in the oven, but don 't want to stuff it, so I am going to do the stuffing in the Nesco/Rival.

I know for a fact it works beautifully! I do my stuffing in my handy dandy 6 qt. Nesco roaster every year. I love how it gets a lttile crusty around the edges and nearly everyone wants that part. You can stir the crusty parts in, to serve it if you choose. Don't hesitate...the Nesco roaster is perfect for stuffing!
I'd never use anything else.

Last edited:
Someone on Facebook mentioned that she likes to put turkey parts on top of the stuffing when she bakes it. That way, you get drippings flavoring the stuffing, plus extra turkey meat, if you need it.

Now, ya'll are talking about dressing, not stuffing. It's only stuffing if it's in the bird. :rolleyes: :angel: :ROFLMAO:

It's a combination slow cooker, roaster, steamer and baker. It has multiple temperature settings. A really neat appliance, you can even waterbath can small batches in it.

Mine is a "Millennium" that I got 15 years ago.

Last edited:
I use the Julia Child method, in my Nesco-type turkey roaster. It includes a double recipe of my world famous Sausage, Apple, and Fennel Corn Bread Stuiffing:

Ingredients:
1 day-old cast iron skillet cornbread
2 tsp light olive oil
6 ounces bulk Italian sausage
2 cups onion, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 large Granny Smith apple, diced
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced fennel bulb
1 tsp garlic, minced
½ tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
1½ cups turkey stock
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Instructions:

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and saute it until browned, stirring occasionally. Add the onion and bay leaf and cook until the onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add the apple, celery, and fennel and continue to saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) and saute 1 minute more. Remove the sausage mixture from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Cool the sausage mixture to room temperature.

Crumble the corn bread into a large bowl. Add the cooled sausage mixture to the bowl and toss to combine. Add the broth and 2 eggs to the bowl and toss to combine. Place the dressing into the bottom of the turkey roaster, arrange the turkey pieces on top of the stuffing to cover and cook as directed in the America's Test Kitchen video.

I'll try that with shredded pheasant as a casserole. Thanks.

Welcome to DC!

I think it will be fine. The Nesco is a wonder! You could even cook your turkey in it. I usually make my stuffing in the microwave. It's just reheated bread, so nothing to worry about.

We like how the drippings flavor the stuffing ingredients, including puffing up the raisins that DH likes, so I always stuff my bird. I don't use meat and I make it right before I stuff and roast the turkey, so it's already cooked through when it goes in the oven.

The Nesco sounds like a great appliance. I might think about replacing my slow cooker with one.

Okay, I'll bite..what is a Nesco??

That was great information Dawg left about Nesco roasters. I think mine is closer to 25 yrs old, and it's by far my favorite portable appliance. They're not expensive and even if they were, it would be worth every penny. Too bad the crock pot can't do everything a Nesco does.

Take a look..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FRwl8SlFus

We like how the drippings flavor the stuffing ingredients, including puffing up the raisins that DH likes, so I always stuff my bird. I don't use meat and I make it right before I stuff and roast the turkey, so it's already cooked through when it goes in the oven.

Even stuffing that's cooked through before it goes in needs to be cooked to 365 degrees because it gets contaminated with bacteria when it goes into the bird. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom