Substitutes for Bell Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Redding

Assistant Cook
My wife doesn't like bell peppers in any way, shape or form. Many of the recipes I like (especially Mexican) are very bell pepper-dependent. Are there any creative substitutes for bell peppers?:ermm:

You could saute a small batch of peppers for yourself, and let the DW "Have it her way".

For heat, add red pepper flakes. Texture, maybe sliced sauteed carrot or japanese peas al dente. Seeded tomatoe wedges may work too. If she likes the flavor, just not the thought of eating them, cook with the peppers then remove the ones for her dish.

I do 90% of the cooking in my house and got fed-up with "I don't want this or that", so I just cook what I want and the DW can pick it out.;)

If she doesn't like bell peppers then make some for just yourself like Jeekinz suggested. I have a friend who doesn't like GREEN bell peppers but will most definitely eat sauteed red, yellow, or orange bell peppers. Three green peppers have a very distinctive flavor that the others don't. She might like those - especially if you do a really good job and browning/caramelizing them to bring out their sweetness.

If that is not an option then sauté some zucchini cut in sticks (not too small or they will disappear).

Sometimes people don't like peppers because of the texture rather than the taste. If that's the case, maybe you could roast the peppers in the oven, remove the skin and then add them towards the end of the cooking. Red peppers are especially flavoursome when given this treatment.

Uhm... More beef? :neutral:

Nuts to her, just prepare the peppers separate and add them to your plate.

kitchenelf said:
If she doesn't like bell peppers then make some for just yourself like Jeekinz suggested. I have a friend who doesn't like GREEN bell peppers but will most definitely eat sauteed red, yellow, or orange bell peppers. Three green peppers have a very distinctive flavor that the others don't. She might like those - especially if you do a really good job and browning/caramelizing them to bring out their sweetness.

If that is not an option then sauté some zucchini cut in sticks (not too small or they will disappear).

Agreed: if you've only fed her the green ones, try the red.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom