Sun dried tomatos, where are they in market?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Where do i find these in the market? I've been wanting to try these for years.

Are they in the dried fruit ilse like raisens?

I think I saw some in a small jar next to the olives, but thay were like in oil.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Not all supermarkets carry sun dried tomatoes. One of the stores I shop at has them in the produce department. They used to have them in bulk, but changed over to selling them in plastic containers. They'll last longer if you keep them in the fridge.

Oil packed sun dried tomatoes are usually found near olives, etc. You can always soak dried tomatoes in olive oil for an hour or so if the recipe calls for oil packed.

I've dried tomato slices or tomato halves in a dehydrator. If I dry them to crisp they get too dark for my tastes. I kept them in zip lock bags in the freezer, dried until they are like raisins, chewable. They have a burst of summer tomato flavor in them and work like 'sun dried'. My most common usage of them is to fill a blender half full with dried tomatoes, fill it with water, blend, and use that for sauce. Delish!

Where do i find these in the market? I've been wanting to try these for years.

Are they in the dried fruit ilse like raisens?

I think I saw some in a small jar next to the olives, but thay were like in oil.

Eric, Austin Tx.

My local Publix has them by the fresh tomatoes in proximity to the shallots and garlic.

This method should work in any supermarket. Walk up to a manager and say, "Where are the sundries tomatoes?".

This method should work in any supermarket. Walk up to a manager and say, "Where are the sundries tomatoes?".
Well, in the south you say, "where are the sundried tomatoes, y'all?"
In Minnesota: "oofda, where are the sundried tomatoes?"
In Australia: "mate, where are the sundried tomatoes?"
In Boston: "any sundried tomatoes and a cooaafee in here?"
In Canada: "where are the sundried tomatoes, eh?"
;););););)

I'm from Boston and we don't talk like that.

Same here Andy. And I can't figure out what that second item we supposedly order is? Please clue me in.

If a person wants to get the Boston accent down it is very easy. No "R at the end of any word. Labor = Labah If the R is in the beginning or close to it, you would pronounce order as ahdah. We just don't like the letter R. ;)

Yes. I did notice the winking line at the bottom.

I make my own SDT from the cherry toms I grow. I use my dehydrator, so I guess technically they're not "sun dried." Cut them in half. They turn out nice and sweet.

You could probably do the same with fresh cherry toms from the store if you can't find them already dried. Any tom, really.

Last edited:
Same here Andy. And I can't figure out what that second item we supposedly order is? Please clue me in.

If a person wants to get the Boston accent down it is very easy. No "R at the end of any word. Labor = Labah If the R is in the beginning or close to it, you would pronounce order as ahdah. We just don't like the letter R. ;)

Yes. I did notice the winking line at the bottom.
And don't forget to add the R where it doesn't belong, e.g. drawring instead of drawing, idear instead of idea. As JFK used to say, Cuber. :)

Coffee, Addie.

The very few times we've bought sun-dried tomatoes we haven't been happy with them, so we started making our own oven dried/roasted tomatoes. Got the original recipe from a Disney World chef. It's just 1/4 inch sliced ripe roma or similar type tomato tossed with some grated real parm cheese, S and P, dried basil, and enough olive oil to coat. You then put them in a single layer on racks in foil-lined cookie sheet pans and put in your oven as low as it will go. Ours is 170 now, previous one was 200. Check after the first couple of hours, then every hour until they start to get leathery looking. It should take beween 4-6 hours depending on temp and how juicy your tomatos are. There still should be some moisture in them, but they'll look kind of leathery. Don't over dry them, they don't taste so good if you let them get too dry. We let them cool, divide up in bags and freeze. You have to freeze or refridgerate if you are going to use soon. They will mold and spoil if you leave at room temp.

We use them in pasta dishes and to make pesto and other sauces.

If you're prone to watching movies set in Boston, you don't hear real Boston accents. You hear an exaggerated version of Hollywood's idea of what we sound like.

yEAH, IT DID. aS FAR AS uFDA, THAT MIGHT BE nd THING. wE ARE MORE OF yAYA, YOU bETTCHA

I think "ufda" is a Scandinavian expression. Lots of NoDaks are of Norweigan origin.

I'm bilingual. Can speak Canadian and NoDak. Depending where I am, I can revert to the local accent.

We derailed another thread, didn't we? Sorry, Giggler. I keep my dehydrated cherry toms in the freezer. They're so sweet and delicious. As blissfull mentioned, don't dehydrate until crispy, just until pliable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom