"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 01-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Originally Posted by Candocook
Oh, I see. I would have to guess that most of the tomatoes we get sold to us are NOT sun dried, even though that is what they are called. I don't think it makes economic sense, but I could be very wrong, particularly about a boutique style producer.
I believe the word sun in sun dried is more of a marketing term and the tomatoes we get are mainly put through some large commercial drier.

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
Master Chef
Exactly. Commercial "sundried" tomatoes are not actually dried by the sun. It is definitely a marketing term. In addition, it's actually a good thing, because drying things in the sun - even with the utmost attention to screening - has a large possibility of insect & bird infiltration, as well as bacterial/fungi problems, especially in humid areas.

Same thing with raisins. Remember the older "Sunmaid" raisin boxes with the woman carrying the tray of raisins with the sun blazing behind her? Made everyone think those raisins were dried in trays under the California sun. Hello? Don't think so - lol!!!!!

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
Maybe it's like the term 'free-range chicken' where all you have to do is give the chickens access to an open area for 5 minutes a day to call them free-range.

Maybe if you dry the tomatos in a dehydrator on a sunny day, they can be called sundried...
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I buy a good quality imported Italian sun-dried tomato and reconstitute when, how and as needed. I'm not a big fan of the ones you can get already in the oil... I like to take out all the seeds and remove all the skins after I've soaked them and before I put them in the oil with whatever flavorings I've chosen.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote