Sweet Potato Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Food Network suggestion. I could make meal out of this.

Sweet Potato Casserole

From Food Network Kitchens

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
User Rating:*

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), scrubbed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus more for the preparing the pan
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pierce each one 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.

Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F. Scoop the sweet potato out of their skins and into a medium bowl. Discard the skins. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Add the eggs, butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. Whisk the mixture until smooth.

Butter an 8 by 8-inch casserole. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan and sprinkle the top with the pecans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a bit puffy. Serve immediately.

Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved

Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Reminds me, some woman who celebrated her birthday 110 years old, said she ate sweet potatoes everyday. Do you believe her? She even was staying her home and fixing her lunch when cameras were filming. She stat ed it matt er of fac t. (something wrong wi th this keyboard) sorry.

This sounds like nirvanna and I'm gonna try it but not for T Day - I've a traditional recipe for that day and it's the only time I make it all year - finally my DH and DIL have come to love it and we all fight over the left-overs!

This looks very good, ITK. I like it because it doesn't have loads of sugar, vanilla, marshmallows and more sugar, etc. I usually make mine very simply - mash em up, add a little butter, salt and pepper and a pinch of ginger and sometimes a squirt of orange juice - and fill orange cups with the mixture. I have an old recipe for an apple marshmallow yam bake, if I really want to go nuts :LOL: But, I like to keep it simple.

I saw another one on a Food Network special that didn't give the recipe. It was basically the same casserole, but instead of using pecans, they used a streusel topping like one you would use for an apple crumb pie. My husband isn't fond of nuts, so I'm going to see if I can re-create it.

Wise

You all must know that I don't like something too sweet . This just seems to have right balance for the casserole. I will surely fix this one. Normally, I make something from past. This just sounds too good to pass up.

I do notice that it has only 2 tbls brown sugar...that's a plus. Sweet potatoes really don't need that much sweetening anyway. My favorite way to eat them is baked like a regular potato and smeared with butter.

Constance said:
I do notice that it has only 2 tbls brown sugar...that's a plus. Sweet potatoes really don't need that much sweetening anyway. My favorite way to eat them is baked like a regular potato and smeared with butter.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. That's the way I like 'em too. :)

Success

This was one I got to try for Thanksgiving crew and success. All gone! Thankful it wasn't too sweet. Not that much sweetner required and very good. Will keep this one. Do you ever prepare so much for Thanksgiving and wonder what recipe called for maple syrup b ecause the bottle is gone. So weird can't even recall what I used it for? I am losing it. Oh, I think I know used it for cranberries. Thank heavens I remembered, makes me feel good. Just sharing my thoughts with you. Hope your cranberries were good too. Everyone liked them too. Do I feel good? Always trying to outdo last y ear.

In The Kitchen
You forgot to add "eat the skins" I love sweet potatoes and DH always removes the skins..so they end up on my plate.:)

Skins?

You do eat the skins? Do you like them? How are they? Supposed to be the healthiest part of the potato. Glad you eat sweet potatoes. I really believe they have lot of fiber but I sure don't like to add too much sugar to eat them. As everyone states they usually just mash and butter. Best way. This recipe really was a hit and thankful everything gone.

Back
Top Bottom