"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Amazon View Post
I just saw them for the first time and bought a couple to try.
They are what I term as just a little drier...often times not as sweet, at others even sweeter than their orange flesh cousins. I really like them, but I don't think I would want to eat them exclusively...I love both...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Mr. Greenjeans

I cut them up without pealing and then steam them. Then I use tongs to remove the peels as I transfer them to a bowl. I mash, add a sprinkle of salt, 1 pat of butter and a dash of ground chipotle powder. Sometimes I toast nuts and mix them into the mash ala Alton Brown.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Cooking sweet potatoes is just experiment I think. I think roasted on an open fire is the best...like on a bbq. Baking is the next best thing. The trick is just to make sure you get fresh and good potatoes. If they aren't just right, no matter how skilled you are at making them, they'll taste horrible.

My aunt grows them in her yard. Freshly dug up sweet potatoes are the best.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I've never had the sweet potatoes at Outback, so I'm sorry I can't help you with their recipe.. but I like sweet potatoes a couple different ways. I *love* them fried, like french fries.. and instead of ketchup, we like to dip them in Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce. I also really love them grilled.. Just cut into oval planks, brush with a bit of oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill until tender (sorry TheHusband does this and I don't know how long it actually takes)... I also like to dice them and a couple of russets and sautee both in some olive oil and butter with salt and pepper and minced garlic and fresh rosemary. Really yummy prepared that way.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
Master Chef

Y'all are making me really hungry for sweet potatoes, and all I have on hand are the canned ones that I was going to use for baking.

Tags
None