"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sweet Potato Help

Outback Steakhouse has awesome sweet potatoes. They are cooked perfectly. Whenever I try to make them at home they never taste as good. Any suggestions on making the perfect sweet potato?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Bake in a 400 F oven for around 45 minutes depending on size. Put it in a pan because sometimes they leak.

Then peel, mash and add some butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Rub your potato with a good coating of shortening/oil...Liberally Salt....Bake@ 350-400 for 45-60 minutes until done. Split the potato open...mix together equal amounts of honey and butter with a bit of little Cinnamon...apply to the potato.

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Master Chef

Everybody has their favorite sweet potato recipe. Andy and UncleBob have given you the technique for baking them, and some basic seasoning. And I love them as described. But there are other ways too. And as I've never had them from Outback steakhouse, I can't even try to tell you how to duplicate their product. But I can give you some ideas. Oh, and unknown to many people, the skins on sweet potatoes are perfectly edible. So, here goes.

Bake as described previously. Scoop out the potato meat and add butter, salt & pepper, and a touch of Lawry's Seasoning Salt for a more savory sweet potato.

Cut the sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks, and dress with cooking oil. Combine a tsp. of salt, 2 tbs. chili powder, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper in a plastic bag. Put the potatoes in and shake until the potato pieces are well coated. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.

Bake 4 large sweet potatoes, remove from the skins, and mash with maple syrup and butter to taste. Season with salt.

Peel and cube the sweet potatoes to fill 3 cups. Place in a caserole dish. Add 1/2 cup orange juice, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Stir, cover, and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove and season with a bit of cinamon.

Follow the peel and cube idea above, and replace the orange juice with miniature marshmallows and butter. Sprinkle over the top. Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350'F. Remove the cover and let the marshmallow brown a bit under the broiler.

Roast them, plate them, serve with salt, butter and honey at the table.

Cuber enough sweet potatoes to fill 3 cups. Place in a casserole dish. Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, and 2 tbs. cinamon in a bowl. Melt 1/3 cup butter and drizzle over the sweet potatoes. Pour the sugar/spice mixture evenly on top and stir until everything is evenly coated. Cover and bake at 375 for 40 minutes (this tastes like pumpkin pie).

That should give you afew ideas at least.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

I like them best simply baked and buttered, like baked white potatoes. The deep orange ones they grow in Louisiana (and probably southern Mississippi) are the sweetest, IMHO.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I like them best simply baked and buttered, like baked white potatoes. The deep orange ones they grow in Louisiana (and probably southern Mississippi) are the sweetest, IMHO.
I live close to an area where they grow great sweet potatoes. This year the quality is down. Due to rain they were not able to harvest them at the right time. So the price for the good ones is double from last year.

Anyway I like to wrape them in foil place on a cookie sheet and bake at 300F for 1 to 2 hours. I want to see liquid comming out of the foil. This ensures that they sugar starts to caramelize.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Me too Miss Connie....plain and simple with butter....Well sometimes a little drizzle of Steen's Syrup

The Honey mixed with butter is what I "think" Outback Steak House does...It's been forever since I ate there...didn't eat sweet tator then....
Hopefully the OP will give it a try........

Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I use Steen's too sometimes.

Has anyone tried white sweet potatoes?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Amazon View Post
I use Steen's too sometimes.

Has anyone tried white sweet potatoes?

Love the White sweet potatoes...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I just saw them for the first time and bought a couple to try.

Tags
None