Sweet Potatoes versus Yams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here's the sweet potato I cooked yesterday. I placed it beside a one quart cup. The tuber weighed 4 pound 12 ounces, is a Beauregard (sp?).

Attachments

• DSCF0002 (2).JPG
    DSCF0002 (2).JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 171
Miss Beth...

That's a nice tator. The Beauregard is a very popular variety grown in Louisiana and here in Mississippi. (Other areas as well I would think)
That one would make a Biggie Size of fries for sure:LOL:

Normally/Usually when they get this big they are "stringy"

If you ever get a chance to eat a white sweet potato give them a try.
They are sometimes hard to find. They have a dryer flesh but sweet.

Uncle Bob said:
Normally/Usually when they get this big they are "stringy"

If you ever get a chance to eat a white sweet potato give them a try.
They are sometimes hard to find. They have a dryer flesh but sweet.

hmmmmmm, I am new to sweet potato raising, only bringing in two crops so far. And I have occassionally run into the stringy syndrome, so I know what you are talking about. But very few of my tators have had it, and to tell the truth, I had not made a connection yet between size and stinginess. The pictured tuber was cut into thirds, oiled and baked for two hours:ohmy: . Then mashed. I must have dissolved the stings in the baking process. Usually when I have them, they are clustered on one end, and I can remove the strings easily.

bethzaring said:
hmmmmmm, I am new to sweet potato raising, only bringing in two crops so far. And I have occassionally run into the stringy syndrome, so I know what you are talking about. But very few of my tators have had it, and to tell the truth, I had not made a connection yet between size and stinginess. The pictured tuber was cut into thirds, oiled and baked for two hours:ohmy: . Then mashed. I must have dissolved the stings in the baking process. Usually when I have them, they are clustered on one end, and I can remove the strings easily.

A grower you are!! You must share your secret! I have never grown one that big...Baked and mashed is the way to go! I don't think you dissolved the strings...they probably were not there:)

My grandfather used to love to just bake sweet potatoes in the skin, take them out, peel the top off and eat it like an ice cream cone.

Not sure about elsewhere, but in the south, if you were naughty, Santa would bring you a lump of coal, a stocking full of switches and a cold sweet potato.

evenstranger said:
My grandfather used to love to just bake sweet potatoes in the skin, take them out, peel the top off and eat it like an ice cream cone.

Not sure about elsewhere, but in the south, if you were naughty, Santa would bring you a lump of coal, a stocking full of switches and a cold sweet potato.

If properly Kiln dried a baked tator can be as good as ice cream:LOL:
And do tell us what part of the South you are from!!;)

Born and raised in North Carolina... and currently living a stone's throw away in Virginia. I can't wait to go home next weekend for Easter... baked ham, glazed carrots, sweet potato casserole, biscuits, deviled eggs, broccoli, and more... last count, my dad's cooking for about 17 people... which means I'll have some kitchen duty. But, I enjoy it, and it gets me out of dishes later! :LOL:

:ohmy: Eek! Just realized I was in the vegetarian channel... ignore what I said about ham! Sorry folks!

Back
Top Bottom