"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Sweet Potatoes versus Yams

Could anyone please either point me to some pictures or describe for me the difference between a yam and a sweetpotato? Are yams actually the sweeter, more orange of the two, with a thin skin--while sweet potatoes are a lighter color, almost yellow, and not quite as sweet as a yam?

I'm so confused....

fliggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Yams are a tropical-vine tuber that is popular in South and Central America, parts of Asia and Africa and in the West Indies. Sweet potatoes and Yams or simular in many ways and therefore are often confused with one another. They are in fact two different species of plants. Here in the US
sweet potatoes are often called Yams and to add even more confusion, sweet potatoes that are canned are often labeled as "Yams". True yams are rarely marketed in the U.S. and are seldom grown.
Yams are somewhat sweeter than the sweet potato but are lower in some vitamins. There are several varieties of sweet potatoes grown. Beauregard, Porta Rican, Centennial, Jewel, and Vardaman are a few. You might find a true Yam in Latin American Markets...

Hope this helps

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Uncle Bob is right both names are the same in the US meaning to us just sweet potatoes and if I am right yams can get really really huge not like the sweet potatoes we get.I love sweet potatoes.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
Years ago some farmers developed an orange colored variety of sweet potatoes and decided to market them as yams to differentiate them from white sweet potatoes.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
Executive Chef
In the Far East, sweet potatoes are either pale yellow or yellow and are sweet. Yams are white or purple and are rather bland. However, there is another variety which is a cross between a light yellow sweet potato and purple yam. Except for a few savoury yam dishes, both tubers are used mainly in desserts.

Edited to read sweet potatoes are either pale yellow or orange...
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #6
Executive Chef
mmmmm....I love sweet potatos! And they are very good for you... WHFoods: Sweet potatoes one of my favorite sites. I use it for making up my own healthy recipes!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
I love them both, but find the deeper orange color much more palatable (marketed as a "yam" at my market) than the pale yellow tuber, marketed as a "sweetpptato". It's just very confusing, but this is quite helpful. Thank you.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
I find some picture for yams and sweetpotato.

Yams picture , sweetpotato picture

and you can visit my blog, there is a post about sweet potato muffin

AlineFang's kitchen
alinefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
Yikes, those "yams" are actually scary looking! Thanks :)
Old 03-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #10
Sous Chef
No yams (the real kind) in the US unless imported as an oddity, which I think I saw at Whole Foods one time.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote