Tater Tots Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I was wondering about deep frying tater tots from their frozen state. I'm concerned ab out how the frozen TTs will react with the oil.

I wouldn't do it Andy, but then I don't deep fry. I bake a lot of solid frozen Oreida tater tots for the SC, and they need to be baked hotter and longer than the package directions in the toaster oven with a sprayed pan for around 30 minutes. They come out nice and crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside.

Last edited:
I would think they would react like any other frozen potato product. Just make sure any visible ice crystals are knocked off, you lower them into the oil slowly, and you don't get your bare arm over the oil.

BTW, if you haven't eaten them deep-fried yet, let me just say they are AWESOME! Our daughter ordered them when we went out our last day back in OH because they are one of the "things" at Hooley House, and she had them before and just love-loves them.

I've only baked them myself, but deep-fried tots sounds fabulous!

Where is Jennyma when you need her. She is the Tater Tot Queen. I don't think there is a recipe for TT's that she doesn't know about and how to cook them. :angel:

It's just like frying any kind of frozen potato. They spit a bit and bubble up a bit so like said before just lower in slowly and leave room for expansion. They are great deep fried.

A little off topic, but I was down in Philly 2 years ago, and just happened to stumble upon a Food Truck Festival. Philly has them several times at a different location each time. Several blocks are shut down, and about 80 + food trucks are there.

We came across " The Tot Cart"
Only serving Tater Tots in various ways and with various toppings.

one example. Totchos ( nachos using tater tots)

Creative Tater Tots, Philly Food Trucks

It was a real treat

Where is Jennyma when you need her. She is the Tater Tot Queen. I don't think there is a recipe for TT's that she doesn't know about and how to cook them. :angel:

Here I am!! Addie is my PR lady! :)

I would eat tater tots every day if I could... I know a million recipes, none of them good for you.

I confess that I've never deep fried them. I haven't fried anything at all for 25 years.

But if it were dangerous or messy there wouldn't be directions on the package about how to do so. Or one would think...

A little off topic, but I was down in Philly 2 years ago, and just happened to stumble upon a Food Truck Festival. Philly has them several times at a different location each time. Several blocks are shut down, and about 80 + food trucks are there.

We came across " The Tot Cart"
Only serving Tater Tots in various ways and with various toppings.

one example. Totchos ( nachos using tater tots)

Creative Tater Tots, Philly Food Trucks

It was a real treat

It was a real mistake to post this.... Can you say "Grand Theft Auto?"

Just drop the Tater Tots in 165 degree oil. Do not crowd the tater tots. Let fry until the tater tots float and are just lightly browned. Remove and drain on paper towels. Salt and enjoy.

Tater Tots aren't my favorite kind of potato. I eat them once in a magenta moon (more rare than a blue moon). When I do eat them, I deep fry them.

I know you'll nail the next batch.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Deep fried is the way they are intended to be cooked. Just as french fries are not as good when done in the oven, the same is true for tots. If anyone here ever goes to Sonic, they do tots right. They always arrive hot from the fryer, crispy outside and tender inside.

I don't deep fry anything. The only use I ever had for tater tots was in tater tot hot dish. If you use any other sauce than cream mushroom soup, they are better. Then one day I actually read the package and it said you can bake 'em. I was perfectly content doing this, no added oil needed -- they must spray them with oil because they come out crispy outside, moist tender innards. Roll them belly side up halfway through baking for an over-all sun tan.

Then one day I went to a local beer bar with big screen sports TV's. They have Deep fried TT's. Better than French fries and certainly a step or three above the baked ones I make at home. Plus they come with all kinds of other deep fried goodness, like wings. As close to gourmet as a small bar can get if you request extra wing sauces for dipping.

If I were to deep fry, I recommend you use peanut oil for frying.

I'm with the frying crowd.
My Fry Daddy sits on the stove top under the exhaust fan at the ready for anything that should be deep fried.
That would include tater tots. We also deep fry french fries and many other foods.
Frying is not unhealthy as far as I'm concerned. Besides, even if it was, it produces crispier and tastier results.
And lastly, the oven cannot do what a deep fryer can do. There is no comparison and I don't care how long or high you bake something that's designed to be fried.

Note: Buying frozen foods, I am noticing in the last several years that most all of it is recommended for the oven. "recommended method"
Some are breaded to work well in the oven.
Some things "Tyson frozen chicken products" will over brown in hot oil as they are designed for the oven.
This pisses me off. I wish they would go back to preparing these frozen foods for deep fryers, not oven baking.
I know restaurants are not baking their fried selections, so someone is still making these things for fryers not ovens.

I have a question for all of those who deep fry.
I never have done it although I enjoy the occasional deep fried foods when eating out, but I don't want to deal with it at home. I have a very good outside exhaust fan over my stove, but I'm sure that's a problem if you don't.

When you deep fry foods, what do you do with the oil when you're done? Do you use it over and over even after cooking different foods? If so, how do you store it? Assuming home cooks don't deep fry every day, like a restaurant, there must be some tricks besides using an expensive new pot of oil every time you deep fry.

I fry in a saucepan using corn oil - high smoke point and not expensive.
After I'm done, I leave the oil to cool then strain it through a men's handkerchief and pour it into a plastic gallon water bottle. I store it in a cabinet at room temp until I need it again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom