"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 12-13-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Tempura pancakes

This is a 'homestyle' tempura I learned to make from a Japanese friend - it's neat, because unlike usual tempura where the ingredients are all fried separately, these are mixed together and cooked like a pancake, so the cook can sit and eat with everyone else!

Note - these amounts are approximate - it's a 'touchy, feely' kind of recipe.

1 cup grated carrot
1 cup green beans, sliced very thinly
1/2 cup scallions, green and white parts, sliced very thinly
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup rice flour or cornstarch
1 egg
Ice water
salt, pepper

Put the veg in a bowl, add flours, salt and pepper, and toss together. Beat egg and add, and start adding ice water til you get a batter that's just a little thinner than regular pancake batter. It should be thick, but still come off the spoon.

Heat about 1/2 inch of veggie oil - NOT olive! - in a large skillet on medium high, place batter by tablespoonfuls in oil, and flatten a little with the spoon. Cook on one side til golden brown, and then flip over and cook other side. These can be drained and placed on a cookie sheet in a warm oven if you're making a large batch.

Serve with a sauce made of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a little sugar and lemon juice.

Note - you can also add little pieces of chopped shrimp to this.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Looks lovely Marm, I really like the fact that the batter doesn't require any carbonated products (soda water, beer, etc). Thanks for sharing, I may make this over the holidays, especially since I just bought a new big bag of rice flour to get me through the winter

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Thanks marmalady, I am saving this one to try tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef
If you add diced scallop or shrimp to this you have kakiage tempura
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
Master Chef
There used to be a fabulous Japanese restaurant in south St. Louis called "Mikada". Could still be there, I don't know. We went there in the 70's.

We had to take our shoes off at the front door, and were led to a private cubicle with bamboo walls, and served by Japanese ladies dressed as Geishas. No forks were provided, but we were shown how to use chopsticks.

They served a wonderful tempura with all sorts of lovely vegetables...carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet peppers, and shrimp. The vegies must have been blanched a bit, I think as they were just crisp/tender, and the batter was so light the goodies almost floated off the plate. I never managed to duplicate it, and now I seldom fry anything.

I also enjoyed the warm saki. That stuff makes you feel good all the way down to your toes.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Domo arigato, Ironchef - I could not remember the name of them for the life of me!

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote