"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Any and every which way but twice baked. Weird huh ?

middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Being Irish (O'Neill was my maiden name), I'll take potatoes any way. I've even learned to like them raw.

Baked, fried, boiled, au gratin, scalloped, chips, in soup, stews, frittatas, creamed, hash browns, clam chowder (oh, yes, good this way), potato salad, in bread (yes, I have a recipe using mashed potatoes in the roll dough...awesome).

Like all varieties, too. Gimme white, sweet, purple. I don't care. Yup, I'm an Irishman. Can't wait for St. Pat's day when I can have corned beef and mashed potatoes with all the yummy corned beef juices poured over. Yeah!

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I love the russet baked i its skin, crispy; gratined with celeriac parsnips leeks and cheese and cream; mashed with garlic and broth, roasted with meats. And it is possible to make a fine potato salad from the russet. THe yukon gold or gourmet gold is ideal as a half way spud...does nicely is pot salads, soups, and dishes like green beans and spuds with bacon and balsamic. I like to use mixed red and purples for fun dishes, rustic mashes with sour cream and herbs, etc. THe real baby new is a joy just boiled and served with pan juices from whatever or fried risolli style. and the fingerling...wrap in bacon and roast or fry in duck fat. THen there is the hash brown, the boiled with corned beef and cabbage, the potato pancake...the mash with other roots like rutabaga. and on it goes...
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to Ginsherer Send a message via Yahoo to Ginsherer
I like potatoes almost any way except as hash browns or tater tots (they look like pretty much the same thing to me.

We really like fried potatoes cooked with chopped or sliced onions. I cook them in butter flavored Crisco with salt and pepper...the men love them this way.

I also make a dish my hubby call "the lazy man's omelet" I cut up and fry bacon, then slice or shred potatoes into the bacon grease and cook them till they are done, beat some eggs and pour over the bacon and potatoes and cook till those are done and top with grated or sliced cheese. The beauty of this one is that you can make enough for 1 or 2 people (using a few slices of bacon, 2 potatoes, 4 eggs) or a crowd in one skillet... You can also use "turkey bacon" (or veggie, I suppose) and the egg stuff that comes in a carton and make it "healthier"
Ginny Sherer
Ginsherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Head Chef
I love them too, unfortunatley they don't love me, and so we don't eat potato as much as I would like! Unless they are boiled or new I prefer a floury potato to a waxy one, but quite frankly I can think of someway to enjoy every variety of potato.
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
Head Chef
Originally Posted by elcameron
I absolutely love potatoes. What are your favorite ways to have potatoes?

And what's your fav. type?
This is a very broad subject "potatoes." So popular and besides a potato bar, they remain a side dish....imagine that. Of course they sometimes get top billing potato salad, taters n' beans, potatoes au graten...etc
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
Senior Cook
I of course love potatoes in Poutine.

If I want to be healthier I cut up a potato (often a russet) into fat French fry shapes. A bit of oil and some spices (paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, Parmesan, parsley, rosemary &/or curry) tossed in a bag with the potatoes. Then I bake them in an oven on a cookie sheet.
"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings"
-Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #18
Master Chef
Like others have said - I've yet to meet a potato I didn't like!!!

I enjoy them baked with different toppings as meals in themselves, as au gratins, hash browns, home fries, in soups & stews, plain boiled & buttered, mashed, the list is endless.

I particularly love the new little different colored fingerling types that come on the market once in a while - in colors of white, yellow, red, & purple/blue, these little guys are absolutely delightful & delicious to cook with.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
Master Chef
Poutine - I've always wanted to try Poutine. Do you have a favorite recipe for it you could share?
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
my favoritte way to eat the yukon gold potatoe is mashed, russett baked and red potatoes in stews ect...

kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote