The humble potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elcameron

Cook
I absolutely love potatoes. What are your favorite ways to have potatoes?

And what's your fav. type?

There are so many ways I love potatoes, I'm not sure I can say which way is my favorite. I love mashed, baked, fried, hash browns, scalloped, roasted, au gratin with ham, and in stews. I can't think of any way I wouldn't want to eat a potato.

I've seen very few potatoes I didn't like. I love them mashed, baked, twice baked, fried, boiled, braised, roasted, grilled, au gratin, scalloped...I love them in soups, stews and salads...I love big ones and little ones, red boilers, russets, Idaho bakers, Yukon Gold, and a red-skinned one with yellow flesh that was sweet as honey. I've never tried the blue ones.

I don't think I can pick just one! :wacko:

Potatoes are my favorite food.:rolleyes: One way I really like them is scalloped with cheese. I make them in a greased casserole, I just put in a layer of thin sliced raw potatoes and layer of diced onions, a layer of cubed ham, a layer of shredded cheese, on this I pour on a little white sauce. Then I repeat the layers and pour on the rest of the white sauce. On top of this I put a tablespoon of butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I cover the dish for the first 45 minutes, then uncover and bake 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
The white sauce is just:
3 tbs. butter
3 tbs. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
Melt the butter over med. heat, in a saucepan. Stir in flour , salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stir constantly, boil 1 minute.

JoAnn L. said:
Potatoes are my favorite food.:rolleyes: One way I really like them is scalloped with cheese. I make them in a greased casserole, I just put in a layer of thin sliced raw potatoes and layer of diced onions, a layer of cubed ham, a layer of shredded cheese, on this I pour on a little white sauce. Then I repeat the layers and pour on the rest of the white sauce. On top of this I put a tablespoon of butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I cover the dish for the first 45 minutes, then uncover and bake 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
The white sauce is just:
3 tbs. butter
3 tbs. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
Melt the butter over med. heat, in a saucepan. Stir in flour , salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stir constantly, boil 1 minute.

that sounds fantastic, A meal in itself.

Potatoes are perfect, no matter how they're served!

Monday was a cold rainy day, so I made a big pot of turkey soup with carrots, parsnips, green onions, and white potatoes, red rose potatoes and purple potatoes (with purple flesh). I like to make colorful meals :)

I love to make a lot of baked potatoes for dinner and everyone chooses what goes on top (I put out a lot of dishes like a salad bar) like:

green onions
sauteed white onions
bacon
grilled diced chicken
cheese
salsa
chiles
ground beef w/taco seasoning
diced tomatoes
garlic butter
sour cream
.....and the list goes on and on!

Being Irish (O'Neill was my maiden name), I'll take potatoes any way. I've even learned to like them raw.

Baked, fried, boiled, au gratin, scalloped, chips, in soup, stews, frittatas, creamed, hash browns, clam chowder (oh, yes, good this way), potato salad, in bread (yes, I have a recipe using mashed potatoes in the roll dough...awesome).

Like all varieties, too. Gimme white, sweet, purple. I don't care. Yup, I'm an Irishman. Can't wait for St. Pat's day when I can have corned beef and mashed potatoes with all the yummy corned beef juices poured over. Yeah!:LOL::LOL:

I love the russet baked i its skin, crispy; gratined with celeriac parsnips leeks and cheese and cream; mashed with garlic and broth, roasted with meats. And it is possible to make a fine potato salad from the russet. THe yukon gold or gourmet gold is ideal as a half way spud...does nicely is pot salads, soups, and dishes like green beans and spuds with bacon and balsamic. I like to use mixed red and purples for fun dishes, rustic mashes with sour cream and herbs, etc. THe real baby new is a joy just boiled and served with pan juices from whatever or fried risolli style. and the fingerling...wrap in bacon and roast or fry in duck fat. THen there is the hash brown, the boiled with corned beef and cabbage, the potato pancake...the mash with other roots like rutabaga. and on it goes...

I like potatoes almost any way except as hash browns or tater tots (they look like pretty much the same thing to me.

We really like fried potatoes cooked with chopped or sliced onions. I cook them in butter flavored Crisco with salt and pepper...the men love them this way.

I also make a dish my hubby call "the lazy man's omelet" I cut up and fry bacon, then slice or shred potatoes into the bacon grease and cook them till they are done, beat some eggs and pour over the bacon and potatoes and cook till those are done and top with grated or sliced cheese. The beauty of this one is that you can make enough for 1 or 2 people (using a few slices of bacon, 2 potatoes, 4 eggs) or a crowd in one skillet... You can also use "turkey bacon" (or veggie, I suppose) and the egg stuff that comes in a carton and make it "healthier"

I love them too, unfortunatley they don't love me, and so we don't eat potato as much as I would like! Unless they are boiled or new I prefer a floury potato to a waxy one, but quite frankly I can think of someway to enjoy every variety of potato.

elcameron said:
I absolutely love potatoes. What are your favorite ways to have potatoes?

And what's your fav. type?

This is a very broad subject "potatoes." So popular and besides a potato bar, they remain a side dish....imagine that. :huh: Of course they sometimes get top billing potato salad, taters n' beans, potatoes au graten...etc :rolleyes:

I of course love potatoes in Poutine.

If I want to be healthier I cut up a potato (often a russet) into fat French fry shapes. A bit of oil and some spices (paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, Parmesan, parsley, rosemary &/or curry) tossed in a bag with the potatoes. Then I bake them in an oven on a cookie sheet.
:D

Like others have said - I've yet to meet a potato I didn't like!!!

I enjoy them baked with different toppings as meals in themselves, as au gratins, hash browns, home fries, in soups & stews, plain boiled & buttered, mashed, the list is endless.

I particularly love the new little different colored fingerling types that come on the market once in a while - in colors of white, yellow, red, & purple/blue, these little guys are absolutely delightful & delicious to cook with.

my favoritte way to eat the yukon gold potatoe is mashed, russett baked and red potatoes in stews ect...

Back
Top Bottom