"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Master Chef

Wow, some really great ideas here folks!!!! I'm definately going to toss in some parsnips on my next roasting adventure. Thanks so much for the replies! Muchas gracias!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

sattie, in a bowl - thinly slice a bulb of fennel, a sweet onion, toss with a few sprigs of thyme, splash with balsamic vinegar, drizzle with evoo and use this to stuff the cavity of a whole trout. tie closed, then drizzle the outside of the trout with more evoo, and s&p. bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until the fish is cooked through and the veggies are just getting soft.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Hey Katie E, thanks for the reply. The only oxtail soup I have ever tried was out of a box... so sadly to say, I have not had the real deal. I would love to try your recipe!!!
You can find my recipe posted on this thread, sattie. It's post #16. Enjoy!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post

Finally just a pan of roasted root veggies seasoned with olive oil thyme garlic salt and pepper is irresistable. I mix em all up ... sweet potatoes, carrot, turnip, parsnip, rutabaga, beet, pearl onion, even celery root. I tend to cut largish bite size and roast @ 400 for up to 30-45 min. you want a bit of brrowning to take place. So good!
Bought a bunch of parnsip turnip beet carrot and potato to go with the Meatloaf tonight... this is what I was going to do with them went browsing for info on heat and time...cool!

just felt drawn to these at the market today... maybe its the chillyish weather.

Love some of the other ideas here too. See how the "other" veggies go over with those at home (they probably would be happier with augratin from a box but oh well I try.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I made a moroccan style using sweet potato, fennel, potatoes and chickpeas. I think the actual recipe was for some more root vegetables like parsnip and turnip. Served it over couscous. Real good..
Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #16
Master Chef

My favorite way to enjoy all the root vegetables is definitely roasted, but if I'm using parsnips in a roasted root veggie mix, then I cut back on the carrots, because too much of the two together make the mix too sweet. And because of parsnips' sweetness, I've stopped using them in vegetable soups as well. Seems like even just one makes a soup too sweet for my taste.

My favorite ways to enjoy fennel are 1) finely slivered raw into a salad & 2) braised in chicken broth & topped with warmed blue cheese dressing.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Fennel is also supposed to be great on the grill. Now that DST has sprung forward, I'm getting antsy to start grilling again
Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
Head Chef

Fennel.. I just braised a roasting chicken and used fennel instead of onion.. Man I am glad I did!! The fennel was FANTASTIC. I used the entire bulb and the light green stalk, halved and put them in like I would have onion.. The flavors were definitely there, but softer than onion. Very pleasant..

There isn't much you can't do with Fennel bulb You can bread it and fry it, saute it, braise it in stock, eat it raw. It works well cooked with garlic, the stalks can also be used as herbal seasoning.

Do a google search on cooking fennel.

Turnips.. you can use turnips about anywhere you would be using potatoes--or add with the potatoes. I even like the raw, sliced with a little salt..(same as potatoes, raw is one of my favorite ways of eating them).
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Head Chef

Mashed rutabaga and carrots. Saw it on the cooking channel. 50/50 mix of each. cut into chunks. Boil until soft. mash, like you make mashed potatoes with butter, cream, salt, pepper....... really comes out nice.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I make fennel and onion risotto. Just carmalize the onions and fennel in olive oil, add the risotto to get it a bit toasted and then slowly add vegetable broth until risotto cooks down.

I don't use parsnips or turnips as often as I should. I've tried them with roasts and in meatball soup before but thats it. I definitely need to try more.

Tags
None