The Perfect Baked Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
How do you make the perfect baked potato? I don't mean all the stuff to put on top, just the best baking technique. Thanks. Betsy.

Gently scrub the dirt off, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake. That's about it! It comes out nicer in a convection oven IMO.

I have tried this procedure before and have gotten this from a food magazine.. The boiling and baking really works wonders. They even offered a variety of dips..

Boil potatoes in a pot of salted water for 20 minutes. Drain and dry. Brush potatoes with vegetable oil and arrange in a foil-lined aluminum pan. Make a deep X cut on top of each potato. Put in 400 F oven for 20 minutes... Serve with dip of choice..

I scrub them well and let them dry. I coat them with just a little bit of oil and then toss with kosher salt. I just just enough oil to get the salt to stick. They go into 350 degree oven for about an hour.

:chef:I agree w/ both Rob and GB but I will try amelina's method next time I bake some at home

A way to speed up the cooking is to insert a clean nail into the center of the potato before cooking. The oven will heat up the nail and transfer the heat to the middle of the potato so that it cooks from the outside, but also from the inside. Do not try this if you are using a microwave though.

I'm a big fan of rubbing it with butter or oil and seasoning the outside with s & p, but done on the grill is my favorite. I like a skin you need to cut with a knife and I like grill marks. Roll it on the counter to help soften the insides before cutting it.

Attachments

• potato1.jpg
    potato1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,927
A way to speed up the cooking is to insert a clean nail into the center of the potato before cooking. The oven will heat up the nail and transfer the heat to the middle of the potato so that it cooks from the outside, but also from the inside. Do not try this if you are using a microwave though.

Another way to speed up baking potatoes is to microwave them for about 3 minutes each then bake them. I use a 400F oven. Be sure to poke some holes in the potatoes with a knife or fork before microwaving.

GB,
Speaking from a grilling standpoint at 400-500F, I bake a potato in about 20-30 minutes after nuking for 3 minutes. The latter part is indirect because it is usually done already by the time I throw my steak on.

I have a baked potato button on my microwave. I poke holes and sent them through this cycle about 3 times then finish in the oven for about 30 minutes. I put them in the oven to crisp up the skins, not to finish the cooking process. BUT, I like an overdone potato.

The DW is from the Republic of Georgia and brough back these small clay dishes, can't remember the name though. We wrap the potatoes in foil, place them in the dish and put them on the coals in the fireplace.

....or do what Andy said - lol.

Why do you wrap them in foil? That negates the effect the clay dish or any other cooking method will have on them.

I guess if there wasn't a log or two burning in there we could do without the foil. I think you can stack these things like Dim Sum baskets.

At a club I belong we found out that the electric roasters make great baked potatoes. Of course they are cooked for a long time. I think the secret though is moisture!!! They are cooked in big batches, at least 5 lbs at a time individually wrapped.

I am going to try wrapping the potatoes in foil, place them in a bread pan, Sprinkle the pan lightly with water and tightly cover the bread pan with foil. This should simulate the same environment of the electric roaster.

At a club I belong we found out that the electric roasters make great baked potatoes. Of course they are cooked for a long time. I think the secret though is moisture!!! They are cooked in big batches, at least 5 lbs at a time individually wrapped.

I am going to try wrapping the potatoes in foil, place them in a bread pan, Sprinkle the pan lightly with water and tightly cover the bread pan with foil. This should simulate the same environment of the electric roaster.

IMO this gives you steamed, not baked potato. A baked potato should be done in a dry heat environment such as an oven, with no added moisture. Baking, by definition, is a dry heat method of cooking.

Thank You

Wow! What great feedback. That was my first post on Discuss Cooking and thank you all for such wonderful suggestions. :) Betsy.

Andy, I am with you--I like fluffy baked potatoes with crisp skin, so no foil, no oil. Just wash some big Russets, poke a couple holes in them, into the oven.

Sometimes, if I am in a hurry, I will put them in the microwave while I preheat the oven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom