"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-30-2004, 04:32 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Interesting, do you have two types of artichokes over the pond? We have the normal green yummy kind, and then the curious beastie the Jerusalem Artichoke. I think you might call them suchokes (just did a two second google search) I quite like the little beasties but not seen them in England, only in Australia.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:33 AM   #12
Senior Cook

kyles;
Sunchokes grow wild here in North carolina, and I assume they do elsewhere in the states. I love them and often get the pickled ones.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

LOL!!! DS, I will go on record in voicing my support for changing the name of artichokes to "yumballs!" I might even contact Congressman Pat Tiberi (R, Ohio 14th District) and see what he thinks just for funzies!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Good man Charcoal!!!!! Join the fight to loosen the shackles of opression on the artichoke!!!
Old 06-04-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

artichokes

I just logged on for the first time and I saw the posts about artichokes.

I was overwhelmed at the number of people who just steam them and dip them in butter. Here's my way of cooking them YUM!!!

Mix breadcrumbs (how much depends of how many your cooking)
a little salt
A few cloves of garlic
Romano cheese to suit your taste

Wash artichoke and slice about 1/2 inch of the top to remove stickers, also cut off bottom stem. Gently pry open the leaves with a butterknife or use fingers. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture amoung the open leaves throughout the artichoke. Also, put some down in the middle of the artichoke. Put into a pressure cooker with a little amount of water, enough to come up about an inch of the artichoke. Drizzle a little olive oil on the top, about 2 teaspoons per artichoke and cook about 20 minutes. Delicious!!!!
Old 06-04-2004, 02:23 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I have not been one of the lucky to enjoy this veggie. Just one question....Does it resemble Asparagus in any way....I know not looks bt flavor wise? It took me forever to even try asparagus, now if it is served I eat it like it's going out of style....mmmm Pickled Asparagus is awesome as well. Anyways I was just curious....

Tanis
Old 06-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

No.... doesnt look like that at all. It sort of looks like a p1ssed off pear. :D
Old 06-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Artichokes

Inasmuch as I live near Castroville, California, I am an acknowledged expert on Artichokery (at least to myself) LOL

If you have the will power, when preparing artichokes, do NOT eat the heart. Save it for Sunday Breakfast. I like to reheat the hearts in a dry non-stick pan, on low heat, then top with a poached egg and a a dollop or two of hollandiaise sauce. And, it is even low carb.

And, I like to use frozen Artichokes in my Cioppino and other seafood stews. I like to saute the usual garlic, green onion and yellow pepper in a bit of olive oil, then add the thawed artichokes, a can of diced tomatoes, some white wine and some chicken stock and simmer very slowly for about 15 min. Meanwhile, I rinse about 6-8 ocean scallops in clear water several times, dry them and saute them in a little oil on a very low heat until they are seared on the outside. Searing them on a high heat yields a nice sear on the outside and a raw scallop on the inside. When nicely seared, I add them to the veggie mixture and serve with a nice rotini pasta and pass the either the Feta or the grated parmesan. A good bottle of Pinot Grigio and some crusty bread make the meal.

If you like, I can post this recipe. If you do not live where you can get fresh Scallops, I have found that the frozen ones from Whole Foods are excellent.

If you like, I can post this recipe, as soon as I quit playing with it.

ChuckD

8)
Old 06-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, I would LOVE for you to post the recipe. Sounds great!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #20
Master Chef

Tags
None