"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-28-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook

The pleasure of Artichokes

Just finished a dinner which included artichokes, one of my favorite foods. Each time I enjoy them, I am reminded of the TV chefs who spend a great deal of time and effort carving the lovely things up, to the point that much of their delicious "meat" is lost.

BW simply trims off the thorny tips of the outer "petals', trims just a bit off the stem, and boils or steams the flower bud. Then serves them piping hot with a cup of clarified butter on the side.

Peel a "petal from the but, dip it in the butter, then clamp lightly between he teeth and pull: off is scraped that wonderful "meat". From at least a qyarter oof the length of the petal, almost all of which is lost by the TV chefs.

When nearing the nefarious choke, grasp and pull the remaining undeveloped petal group, exposing the choke, which can then be carefully removed with knife or spoon, losing none of that wonderful meat.

And the half inch or so of stem that's attached is just a delicious.

So much for TV chefs!! :D

Old 05-29-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I agree, Oldcoot! I visited Castroville California, (home of artichokes)(in USA) where I ate my first one I LOVE 'em! I just boil, or steam 'em, so I can get every bit of thier yummy "meat" Heck with "hackin' 'em up! :roll: :D Atomic Jed!

Old 05-29-2004, 06:16 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to karimitch Send a message via Yahoo to karimitch
Are they really that good? I'm always up for trying new things and have never heard of artichokes. Is it hard to make and can you get them about anywhere? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:03 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Old coot;
You have brought up my favorite way to eat artichokes! While I occassionally cut them up and cook them, we mostly just boil them and dip them in a melted butter or vinaigrette.

Kari;
They are, indeed, that good! What lobster is to crustaceans, what caviar is to fish eggs, artichokes are to veggies.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
Executive Chef

oldcoot, that is exactly the way my mom showed me how to make them. Probably one of the best and easiest finger foods! I've tried making artichoke dip with limited success but most of the recipes I've seen involve hot mayonnaise. Something just doesn't seem right about hot mayonnaise!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Yes, karimitch, artichokes (in my opinion) are really that good!

Not knowing where you are, it is difficult to say whether they are readily available to you or not.

Artichokes are the immense flower bud of a giant thistle. they tend to be 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter. They should be dull green with few if any dark spots, and should be tightly closed.

Preparation can be as simple as snipping off the thorny tips of the outer large "petal" to avoid stuck fingers when eating them, and popping them into boiling water until the "petals" pull off very easily. That's all thee is to it. Dips of butter or ? are fine, by really unnecessary!

If you casn't find fresh artichokes, you may be able to get frozen or canned "hearts". The caned have a very different flavor (which I don't care for, but they're popular in salads, etc).

Try 'em. I think you'll like 'em!
Old 05-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Yes, "canned" or "jarred" "Marinated" Artichokes are ok, but fresh ones a far different and much better (I think) Dipping sauces, your choice. I usually just eat them without it. (I can't wait to scrape the "meat off those leaves with my teeth!) (After boiling, or steaming ''till tender") be sure to remove the "choke" (thistly part in the center) then enjoy "crown" I peel the stem also, it's center is edible as well. Yummm!!! :D Atomic Jed!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

Cold mayonaise is also a wonderful dip! I love 'em!

When I first met hubby I made steak and artichokes for him. Didn't know he'd never seen one before and just copied me...well I'm always too full to eat the heart - so he didn't either. It was a couple of years later we ate them at his brother's house and he discovered the heart....now heats his and mine as well...well he'd had my heart for a long time anyway!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I LOOOOVE artichokes!! I feel they deserve a better name!
Just the word "choke" in the name.... just doesnt do them justice!
I am for REFORM!!!!
I am open to ideas to rename the opressed artichoke!

How about "yumball"??????
Old 05-30-2004, 01:54 AM   #10
Cook

Artichokes! Possibly my favorite food, in any form. I love carving them all up for hearts, but then steaming the "leaves" separately for my own treat - or else I steam them whole and then we save the hearts for brunch or salads or - even better - fry them.
Only draw-back is that no wine really pairs properly, but I've found a vodka or gin tonic goes pretty well, oddly enough. Nice and clean, makes a good match.
I keep intending to try a lovely aioli or something, but dipping the leaves in plain melted butter with lemon is soooo good I can't break away from it long enough to try something else.
*now wondering if the store has any baby artichokes...*

Tags
None