"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to TinCupO'Smokey Send a message via Yahoo to TinCupO'Smokey Send a message via Skype™ to TinCupO'Smokey
Tips & tricks on pan-frying potatoes?

Goodmorning everyone,

Recently I've gotten really into frying potatoes in a pan and trying out different combinations of spices, oils, and degree of frying/crunchiness, but there's something I can't quite work out (hence my newfound membership of this site, yay! )

A while back I went to a breakfast restaurant and had pan-fried potatoes that seamt to have been dipped in somekind of marinade that developed into a delicious random and thin crust around the potato when you fried it, and I have been wondering how to do that ever since. Do any of you know have anykind of experience with something like this?

I would love to hear everybody's potato frying tips of any kind!

Thanks everyone,
TinCupO'Smokey

Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome TinCup! Glad you found DC!

I'm interested in hearing the suggestions, too.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I like to fry my potatoes in duck fat, I think it imparts a unique flavor. I also tend to add some crumbled bacon and some kind of earthy mushroom.

I also sometimes will braise asparagus, sliver the stalks at an angle, toss the slivers in truffle oil, and then add to the potatoes. MmmmmMmmmm.

Every tried frying potatoes Swiss style, aka "Rosti"? Also very good.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenAmatuer
I like to fry my potatoes in duck fat, I think it imparts a unique flavor. I also tend to add some crumbled bacon and some kind of earthy mushroom.

I also sometimes will braise asparagus, sliver the stalks at an angle, toss the slivers in truffle oil, and then add to the potatoes. MmmmmMmmmm.

Every tried frying potatoes Swiss style, aka "Rosti"? Also very good.
When I have something in a restaurant that I particularly like, I always ask how it is made and what ingredients the recipe contains. The waitstaff is usually more than happy to tell me the details and if they can't I aske the manager. In a case like this, where this is not their specialty, you might want to ask the next time you have breakfast there. Then come back here and share.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to TinCupO'Smokey Send a message via Yahoo to TinCupO'Smokey Send a message via Skype™ to TinCupO'Smokey
Not a bad suggestion, Drama Queen. Thing is, the restaurant is in Boulder, CO, and I live in Copenhagen. I ate there while travelling US, and as much as I want to, I think it will be a while before I'll be back.

Rösti can be really nice and is really a topic in itself. I find that a little cabbage and onions in the rösti-dough makes it even better.

I hope someone will come around and reveal the secrets behind crunchy potato marinade, otherwise we'll have to develop a community-powered recipe, which could be fun!

Thank you for your participation - nice sunday to everybody.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
Head Chef

Was it a marinade or a batter?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Executive Chef

May not be what you're looking for but I like to buy baby potatoes, usually yukon golds. Then I boil them, take them out of the water and let the cool for 5 mins. Then, one at a time, I smash them inbetween two papertowels. Then I fry them in butter, sprinkle with rosemary, sea or kosher salt and pepper. Delicious! Soft on the inside, crispy on the outside. You could also roast them, making sure theres olive oil on both sides of the potato and roast at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Either way produces crispy potatoes, though the butter version is waaaay better in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I recently read on another thread about cooking sweet potatoes first a bit in the microwave, then finishing them off in a panini press. Today for lunch I tried this with a red skinned irish potato and it worked really well. I still intend to try this with a sweet potato, but I had an irish potato that was really asking to be eaten. Very quick, easy and tasty.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
i usually do roasted potatoes in the microwave first, too, beth. i cut up either regular or little red potatoes into chunks, toss 'em in a clean plastic grocery sack with a half handful of water, knot the bag, and nuke for just a few minutes, until they're half to mostly cooked. and no, because someone might ask, i'm not particularly concerned about plastic leaching into the food.

meanwhile, i thinly slice some red onion or some leeks, and cook them in a generous bit of melted butter on the stovetop. potatoes go in (draining off as much of the water from the bag as possible) when the microwave goes off, and after everything's starting to acquire a buttery glaze, add in minced garlic, fresh basil, herbs of your choice, sea salt, fresh cracked pepper.

i find that part-cooking them in the microwafe first means that the insides are already done by the time the outside gets that nice crispy-edged texture. otherwise, i have to cut the potatoes VERY thin, and they end up being too fragile for my vigorous stirrings as they cook, resulting in a lot of mashed roasted potatoes.

i'm honestly not sure if TinCup had battered/marinated potatoes, or just this sort sauteed in a lot of butter...ends up with golden brown crunchiness along corners and edges, "random and thin crust" and all...
Old 04-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

yes, par cooked potatoes, drained seasoned roughed up a bit, the roasted 375 to 400* oven in fat (duck, bacon, rendered salt pork, or lard...even goose fat) or I suppose a pure olive oil to stand up to the heat or peanut oil. They are delish!

Tags
None