TNT Awesome Tomato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I made this for lunch today and it was wonderful!

The Mothership Tomato Salad

Very easy and simple.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly as I didn't have everything on hand and didn't want to run to the store.

My substitutions were balsamic vinegar, dried oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and I used all roma tomatoes.

I did soak them in the sea salt - putting more salt on than I thought I should, they turned out great.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you posted this. I LOVE a good tomato ANYTHING in the summer! Only one thing annoyed me....I read the recipe using his accent :LOL:

I've never heard of "Jamie at Home" ! But it seems like he must be popular or known or something.

Where is he from that he has an accent?

Do you remember The Naked Chef?...Jamie Oliver? The Naked Chef was his first TV show, I believe. He's from England and has the most delightful way of speaking.

Sounds good. What confuses me is the salt..
He says something about people being scared to use this much salt... but it all drips off...

Then he says to season them with a "good pinch" of salt. Hmm, MY pinch of salt is nowhere near enough to have people worrying... then I am to season again.

Hmm, even TWO pinches of salt, to me, means MAYBE half a teaspoon. That's infinitesimal compared to two and a half pounds of tomatoes, isn't it?

The whole "pinch" as a measurement for a cooking show bothers me. One web reference calls it 1/16 of a teaspoon.
ok, rant over. you may return to your normally scheduled programming. :)

Oh I agree! The "pinch" thing had me confused.

I feel as though if I saw this chef on tv, I might become annoyed.

I love the british accent but I need clear directions!!!

I copy/pasted the original recipe, but I really don't know why. I've been doing this forever, minus the garlic. :)

The two things I'd add is to let is set and marinade for at least an hour. Don't drain that juice! The juice combined with the dressing is my favorite part soaked up into a very fresh piece of bread.

Bob

That is without a doubt my favorite way to eat tomatoes, and you do need a lot of salt. I crush a garlic clove with a mortar and pestle, and add about 2 teaspoons of kosher salt to help grind the garlic into a paste. I sometimes add chunked cucumbers and/or green peppers to the salad.

Can't wait til my tomatoes are ripe--but it will be several weeks.

Oh I agree! The "pinch" thing had me confused.

I love the british accent but I need clear directions!!!

A pinch is a common measurement of volume in British cooking! It's as clear to us what he means as a cup is to Americans. We Brits have difficulty with cups - we look in the cupboard and see cups of all shapes and sizes. Which one should we choose? We end up buying special measuring sets with cups, half cups, etc. At least you don't have to buy special thumbs and fingers!:rolleyes:

A pinch, by the way, is the amount of something in powder or grain form that you can pick up between the tips of your thumb and forefinger.

My new favorite lunch

Here's my new favorite lunch using this salad!

Attachments

• food 005.jpg
    food 005.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 169
i have a measuring spoon set with a dash, smidge and pinch spoons.

Back
Top Bottom