"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
TNT: Italian 3 Cheese and Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms

I love these, I always make them over the holidays and find that they vanish like hot cakes when I serve them to guests. You can easily multiple the recipe as many times as need be. Enjoy

Italian 3 Cheese and Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms

8 large fresh mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed

2 cups of fresh ricotta cheese, drained

¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1 tbsp of olive oil

5 tbsp of pesto

Freshly cracked black pepper to taste (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C.

Hollow out the gills from the 8 mushrooms so that you are left with the large empty mushroom caps. With a pastry brush or a paper towel brush a thin coating of olive oil all over the mushrooms (inside and outside).

In a medium or large mixing bowl lace all of the cheeses and pesto (and pepper is using), less ¼ a cup of parmesan.

With a tablespoon place an equal about of the cheese mixture into each of the eight oiled mushroom caps. Place them onto a non-stick or foiled lined baking sheet in a single layer. Dust each mushroom with an equal amount of the reserved parmesan or mozzarella cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown to your liking. Remove the tray from the oven and allow the mushrooms to cool on it for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a serving dish.

Serve at once or cover and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours before serving (reheat in a warm oven briefly before serving them to your guests). Utterly addictive!

Makes 8 mushroom caps (serves 2-3 as an first course)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Executive Chef

That looks right up my alley! Thanks a bunch. Have you ever made this with portobello mushrooms?

Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
That looks right up my alley! Thanks a bunch. Have you ever made this with portobello mushrooms?
Hi Corazon, thanks, you're very welcome. I've made these with portobellos and they work great too! This will stuff about 6 medium sized portobellos (in my experience)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Old 12-14-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Sous Chef

My mouth is watering, Thanks!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I love stuffed mushrooms!! (well I LOVE mushrooms in any which way... I don't trust anyone who don't like them!! )
This sounds like a wonderful variation to the one I usually make (with minced onions or scallions, chopped stems, crumbled bacon/pancetta, breadcrumbs, parsley and parmigiano/grana padano).... must be buonissimo, gotta try them asap!! Thanks!!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I love stuffed mushrooms!! (well I LOVE mushrooms in any which way... I don't trust anyone who don't like them!! )
This sounds like a wonderful variation to the one I usually make (with minced onions or scallions, chopped stems, crumbled bacon/pancetta, breadcrumbs, parsley and parmigiano/grana padano).... must be buonissimo, gotta try them asap!! Thanks!!
Wow! That version sounds really good too! (Yes, count me among the mushroom lovers - my fave is grilled portabellas...)

John
Old 12-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Hi guys, you are all very welcome, I'm so that you like this recipe.

Quote:
Wow! That version sounds really good too! (Yes, count me among the mushroom lovers - my fave is grilled portabellas...)
John, I like grilled portobellos too, they make great veggie burgers in place of beef patties.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55

John
Thanks Ron!! It is fairly easy, sautè the onion/scallion, stems and bacon/pancetta with some garlic, pepper and a little herbs of your choice. Mix them with breadcrumbs, parsley and cheese and stuff it into the mushroom caps. Bake them at 180°C/350°F, first covered, and then towards the end remove the cover and continue to bake for some more minutes, until the top gets kinda crusty and golden brown... (If you leave the cover on it can get too soggy, and if you cook it uncovered all the way through it will dry out too much...) The time varies depending on the size of mushrooms, if they are on a smaller side about 10-15 minutes will suffice, but if they are huge it takes about 20-25 minutes. Give it a try!!

I love grilled portobello, too... I remember On The Border made fajitas with them, that was my absolute favourite!!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Piccolina,
just found your recipe..Will be making them today, since I have everything I need..These look delicious..I usually make them like Licia does, but, this will be a nice change and give me another way to serve mushrooms..Thank you

kadesma
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
just found your recipe..Will be making them today, since I have everything I need..These look delicious..I usually make them like Licia does, but, this will be a nice change and give me another way to serve mushrooms..Thank you
You're very welcome Kadesma, they are a fav of mine for sure. I really hope you enjoy them - let us know what you think of these stuffed mushrooms afterwards

Tags
None